"I thought that maybe if he falls in love with someone, maybe he'd change or improve, or forget... But- it didn't work." She looked sad again. "I just pulled you into his life, I made him hurt you."

"No Melissa, Don't talk like that... This isn't your fault. Okay?"

"Okay. I just want to know if- if he's treating you okay."

"He is, he made a promise. I know he won't let you down. He loves you Melissa. I know that much." I reassured her.

Sighing, I tucked my hair behind my ears.

Elroy has been through a lot. If anything, this new information made me care about him the more. I knew they lost their parents at the age of 14, but I didn't know it was a major part of Elroy's cold behavior.

But why did it affect him the most? Why did he changed so badly? Why didn't he grow from it? Why does it feel like there's more to this story?

I had the insane urge to see him, and maybe tell him it was okay to grieve but- I couldn't do that... He'd probably be pissed that I knew so much about it... Or how it affected him.

"You know, their parents remembrance is coming soon." Melissa said.

"I'm aware." I said, snapping myself out of my thoughts.

"That's actually the reason I called to see you." She said.

I scrunched my brows. "Oh, okay... Do you need help with anything?"

"Yes... Elroy."

What?

"I don't understand." I stated.

"You have to make him attend it. He has never been to any of them. He makes excuses everytime. He can't keep doing that."

Excuses? I knew he always had business everytime it was around the corner. Were those excuses? Why would he want to avoid going?

"People are beginning to ask questions. I don't want him to miss this year's remembrance. Can you help me talk to him? He might listen to you."

"It's okay... I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you Fay, honestly."

"It's no problem."

What the hell did I just sign up for?

___

"Oh my God, these are beautiful." I grinned widely at the laptop screen, as I flipped through the shoot pictures of yesterday.

"I know right? I couldn't stop staring at them." Lucas smiled. "I'm going to upload them today. Thanks Fay." He said.

"Oh come on... Don't insult me. I'd do anything for you."

"I wish you could." He smiled sadly, exiting the pictures. "How are things by the way? Have you talked to your mom?"

"No. Not yet." I said.

"You know you should, right? She'd probably be worried about you."

"Yeah, that's why I haven't gotten a call or even a text from her since the brunch."

He chuckled. "You know how Catherine is. She can be really proud and stubborn, just like you."

My eyes widened as I laughed and hit his shoulder playfully. "Like me? I'm not proud... And most of all stubborn?"

"Okay, let's delete the proud out if it, you're pretty stubborn." He smiled boyishly.

"Oh come on... I'm not stubborn, I'm far from being stubborn. Honestly."

"My opinion remains the same." He said. "Still, jokes aside. You should give her a call."

"I know, I just need things to die down a little bit, maybe then I would. You know how she is."

"Yeah." He said. "How's the boss?" He asked.

"You can call him by his name, he doesn't bite." I teased.

"I know. But we can't be too sure." Lucas said.

I chuckled. "He's okay."

"Hm."

"I'm serious." I added.

"I know, it's just- it's all too sudden and weird, don't you think? All of a sudden he's acting really nice to you and all... Something just doesn't feel right."

"I used to think that... But I'm starting to trust him... He wants to change, and he is changing... I should at least give him the benefit of the doubt."

"I know- I just don't want him to hurt you. I won't be able to stand it."

I smiled. "I'll make sure I don't get hurt." I assured him. "I'm not ready to get hurt by him... I know he's capable of hurting me, that's why I'm going to protect myself... You don't have to worry about anything."

"I can't help but worry, Fay."

"Thanks Luke, I'm glad you care about me. But you don't have to."

"I know, but I want to."

I smiled. "Who am I to stop you?"

He smiled.

It wasn't my intention to hurt someone as kind as Lucas, but then, there's Elroy, the man who manages to confuse and enchant me at the same time.

My phone vibrated, noting me that I just got a text.

From Elroy.

My heart skipped a beat, bringing a gasp from me.

Thank God Lucas didn't notice.

El:
Whenever you're done with Lucas, I'll be waiting in the car.
Just now.

My eyes widened as they snapped to the door to see it slightly opened.

He had been standing there the whole time, hadn't he?

Shit.