10

ELROY

It was all working exactly as planned. I watched Fay walk with her mother to a spot outside the backyard but from our angle, we could see them clearly.

She could have stopped this if she wanted but she choose to be stubborn, and now, look at the results. At least I did good not to present the matter when we stated eating.

"What is the matter with you Elroy, you promised." Damien said, glaring at me.

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't do anything, I just thought that the silence was deafening and someone had to break it so... I asked an honest question." I said.

"Honest question? This was your plan all along, to get Fay into trouble." Damien said.

Grandma looked between me and Damien. "Why would Elroy try to put Fay in trouble?" She asked, looking clueless.

"Grandma... Please just relax." Rhea said, holding my grandma's shoulder.

"Told you this was a bad idea Damien." Cade muttered.

"What ever this is, it isn't Elroy's fault. It wasn't right for Fay to speak to Catherine like that." Sarah butted in.

"What did Fay say to Catherine? She only objected to Catherine's opinion. I don't see anything disrespectful about that." Cade said with a shrug, picking up his pudding.

"Catherine is her mother, she should have at least respected her opinion." Sarah said. "And besides, Catherine is right. Fay shouldn't be working for a competing company, it doesn't look right to the public." She added.

"Thank you." I said, looking over at the direction where Fay and her mother were busy arguing.

"But still, Fay should be the one in control of her life... Elroy has no right to stop her from doing whatever she wants to do." Rhea said.

I rolled my eyes. "Mind your business Rhea." I muttered.

"Fay is a friend, therefore it is my business." Rhea gritted out.

"What is going on?" Grandma asked, looking left out. "Elroy did you ask that question on purpose?"

"What? No Grandma. It just came out, if I had known it would lead to this, I wouldn't have said a word. Believe me." I said, trying to convince my grandma.

"You manipulative bastard. You did this on purpose. Grandma he is lying!" Damien said.

"Am I now? Do you have proof? Come on Damien? What will I gain from ruining this brunch?" I asked innocently.

"Yvonne's loss." Rhea said.

I glared at her from across the table. "What did I say about minding your business?"

"And what did I say about Fay being a friend?" She retorted.

"Grandma! Warn Rhea." I said, getting pissed.

Cade sighed. "Kids." He muttered.

"Rhea is right, you shouldn't tell her to mind her business, Fay is a friend, and when we see something going wrong with her, we are here to help." Damien said.