Chapter XVI

Xion's POV

A runaway prince from the demon kingdom. That's who Conner was. My brother and best friend. He had left his home in blatant rebellion against his stern father. He was my sparring partner, and it was only through his help that I was successful in becoming a man worthy of Aurora.

Regardless, I wanted to rip his head off, but I couldn't even after we'd returned to the castle, and I was watching him scoff down food. The demon had openly flirted with my woman just so he could annoy me.

Still, I felt for him. Conner has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. While I already knew who my fated was and even her location. Conner was yet to meet his woman or even get any information on her. It was as if she didn't exist at all. That made him a wanderer, seeking thrill and adventure to keep his mind occupied. A man can only go so long without his woman. My years of waiting nearly broke me. The only thing I had was knowing the time would come when Aurora and I would be together. Even with that hope, need would burn like a thousand fires in my gut for her. Here my friend was smiling at me as if he were okay.

"I'm glad I made it in time for the coronation. Congratulations brother." He raised his glass of wine and I my glass of blood in cheers before we both drank.
"She's just as you've described her. A spitfire."

"She is he feistiest woman to ever live, I believe." I chuckled.

"May your love but passionate and fulfilling, my brother." We raised our glasses again.

***

Aurora's POV

"We have to do something about this damn coup. Ava was attacked and Thelus got hurt!" I spoke watching him whip off his shirt and climb into our bed. He held out the garment to me, knowing It would be my night gown for the night.

With no amount of bashfulness, I shrug out of the simple dress I had been wearing and pulled the shirt over my head. He already had his arm out to help me climb between his legs.

"We should do something about it. The soldiers are searching high and low."

"They need to search harder. We can't let them keep fucking with us. If something had happened to her..."

"You sound like her Queen."

"I --." Sighing, I settled into his chest, "I like her. She's a nice person despite being a vampire. Your brother also seems to be a nice person despite being a demon. Does he visit you often?"

"He doesn't. He came for the coronation of the new Queen of Vampires."

"Huh."

"You should be our Queen, you should be my Queen."

"That didn't sound like a question." I mumbled.

"It wasn't." He intertwined our fingers gently squeezing down on my own. This feels good, I couldn't help the thought, nor could I stop the ones that followed. I'm the most powerful witch in this whole world. I could have torn this entire kingdom apart if I wanted to, but I don't...

I'm calling this room we're in, our room, this bed – our bed. I got angry that a pregnant vampire could be hurt, when I should have been happy she was nearly killed. And this man... when he is smiling down at me, charming and handsome with his fangs practically glowing in the light my heart can't help but pound. What has happened to me?

"What if I don't want to be?"

"Then I guess I'll have to punish all these treacherous vampires alone. Treason is punishable by death..." He sighed, "All this killing... the burden a single king carries on his own. Not to mention, I'll have to put this ring back."

He held up a beautiful ring, a large emerald rock complemented by white diamond stones and a gold band. The details of the band were extremely delicate and intricate, a flower with leaves ... It was beautiful.

"Don't." I spoke, swallowing, I felt the dryness of my mouth. I licked my lips catching the bottom one between my teeth.

"Put it on me." I urged. Oh Wow!

Swallowing the lump in my throat, the words barely came out. "I ruined the dress."

"We can have it fixed."

"Okay..." I replied absently as I stared at the ring. What are you doing, Aurora?