Virus Chp 4

*from 'fletcher's' point of view*

"Yes, I'll get the girl." I said through the phone. It's light blinding in the void of darkness. 

"Have you located her yet?"

"Yes, she lives with her father. I have observed that she is mostly alone as her father works double shifts to support them, with her mother out of the way we can finally get to her."

"Perfect. Her mother was very protective. A great scientist, she was. A shame we had to kill her."

"Quite."

"Fletcher, if you do not retrieve her there will be dire consequences. I don't want you to disappoint me...again." The voice said, raw and un-nervingly. 

"I won't disappoint you," I said in the most confident manner that I could.

"You better not! After you were convinced that the Maggie Williams was the one, we sacrificed crucial time to get to her, not to mention using our valuable resources to kill off those stupid parents of hers! They weren't even scientists how could you have been so ignorant?!" 

"It was a mistake that won't happen again. Is she dead?"

"Killed at gunpoint, by...Axe. At least he can get the job done."

"That son of a b*tch is a lier and a rotten thief! He has no interest in our cause! He only seeks his pay check!" I bellowed into the phone.

"One more mistake and I will slice your throat! You are powerless against me, so do your job or I'll get Axe to do it for you and you'll be the next one at gunpoint!" He yelled, it was so loud the speakers were fuzzing in his power. 

The call came to an end and I was left staring at the screen. The dark alley illuminated by its light with my  shadow slicing though trash and rats' corpses. 

I lifted up my black hood and tucked my hair into it. Now, I seemed to blend with black world and I was absorbed into its void. 

I stepped out of the alleyway to a blaring yellow streetlight that was decorated with moths and flies. Ever so slowly I edged my way down the street. It was so silent it was harrowing, I clenched the gun in my pocket, it's smooth metal texture of death shocked my skin in its frigid touch. I came across her street. Her blinds were not yet down and her bedroom light flooded the street. She seemed to be happy, her silhouette was singing and dancing around, happy, smiling.

But people never know when it's their last day to be free, do they?