The deal

"WHAT?" I shouted, almost jumping out of the chair. I couldn't believe my ears. He must be losing his mind; what made him think that I would make a deal like this with him?

I don't know him. I don't want to be in his sick game to put his company on top. I don't want to get involved with him. This must be a sick joke.

"You must be losing your mind, Mr. Rivers, because if you think I am going to agree to this, you don't know me. I will not get involved in your business, and surely not with you. I'm sorry, but you have the wrong person." He must be crazy to think I would agree to this.

"Think about it. Anyone would be happy to be married to me. I have money and the looks. It's every girl's dream to get married to me." He said this as he was leaning back into his chair.

"I have already thought about it, Mr. Rivers, and my answer is no. You can go find that girl whose dream is to be married to you, because that isn't my dream." I told him.

"No one has ever refused me before, Ms. Green, because I'll always get what I want in the end." He said, smirking.

"There is a first time for everything in life, and this will be the first time for you because there is no way I will agree to marrying you. You're a total stranger. I know nothing about you, and I didn't come here to get hitched; I came here for a job, so if you'll excuse me, I will be going now." I said this while looking him in the eye to let him know that I was serious about what I said.

"No one has ever rejected me either; how can they? I am a Rivers after all, and you're no exception. You're just like everyone else. They always want something from me. They all want to be with me." He said smugly.

I hate men with big egos, and his ego is bigger than every man that I've ever interacted with in my life. I wanted to destroy that ego of his, but I don't want to be disrespectful to him. So I decided to deal with the situation professionally. "Well, Mr. Rivers, I am honored to inform you that there is a first time for everything, and I am of course rejecting your offer and yours."

Was that professional? Did I cross the line? I don't think I did; I was just telling him the truth in the nicest way I could.

He got up from his chair and moved around the desk to stand in front of me. I had to look up at him when he was in front of me because I was still sitting down and he was towering over me.

"You're only in denial, Ms. Green, and I would be happy to prove to you that you want me just like everybody else." He said folding his arms.

I'm not in denial; you just think too high of yourself. That's what I wanted to say, but instead I said. "I am not in denial. In fact, I don't care what you say, and you don't have to prove anything to me because I am leaving, so goodbye, Mr. Rivers." I got up ready to walk out of his office and leave him with his too big of an inflated ego before the both of them suffocate me, but...

Why is there always a but? I didn't get far because he got ahold of my wrist and pulled me into him. The force he pulled me in with made my head smack against his chest. His cologne hit me the minute I inhaled and I gasped in shock.

"Ms Green I will prove it to you, and then you can't deny me." He whispered in my ears, inhaling deeply. I was still in shock, so his words just passed through my ears to exist through the next.

I was tense in his arms, and I was suddenly nervous. I don't like the closeness. I haven't been touched by another man in years. I can't remember sharing this kind of gesture with someone else. I didn't have time to make close friends while I was in college. I was too busy studying to get my degree. I didn't have time for my boyfriend or to hang out, so most of my college days were spent inside my dorm room, library, classes, cafeteria, and the places I went to get food and whatever else I needed.