4: Refugees, Interviews, and Rumors

Alnus hill, Jensen's POV:

After the long trip, we finally returned to the base. I gotta say, the base progressed so much since our departure. They now have a hangar for strike fighters, a factory for mechs and even a shipyard for constructing ships like frigates and pocket dreadnoughts! We parked our LAVs at the assembly area as King's drop ship lands on a nearby landing pad.

Calvin: Finally, home sweet home.

Jensen: Yep, get ready to have our asses chewed up by the colonel.

We leave our vehicles as the refugees hop out from the back door. Already, I could see colonel Akhira approaching me with a stern look.

Jensen: *salutes* Colonel Akhi-

Suddenly, the colonel punches me in the face. Everyone stared in shock as I rub my cheek.

Akhira: Do you have any idea how many times we tried to contact you!?

Jensen: *rubs cheek* Excuse me, but you weren't responding to our calls!

King: You weren't responding to my calls too, Akhira.

The colonel facepalms when he notices the refugees.

Akhira: Forget about it. And who are they!?

Calvin: Refugees sir, they-

Akhira: YOU BROUGHT REFUGEES!? WHO TOLD YOU TO BRING 'EM HERE!?

Everyone except me and Calvin recoils from the colonel's outburst.

Jensen: So bringing them here's a bad idea?

Akhira: YES!

Calvin: So, what do we do now?

Akhira: I WAS SUPPOSED TO ASK THAT! I was NOT expecting refugees here you dolts!

We look down as the colonel sighs in frustration.

Akhira: *sigh* I should contact the commander.

???: You don't have to.

We looked at the direction of the voice when we saw the man himself, dad! Quickly, everyone except the refugees, Raiden, Artemis, and King stiffens up.

Revan: At ease everyone, now Jensen, why did you bring them here?

I gulped before talking.

Jensen: Well, these people had nowhere else to go, we can't just abandon them and let them suffer a cruel fate. Plus, this is a good way to learn more about the locals and start a friendly relationship as you planned.

Dad rubs his chin with his crystallized mechanical arm, thinking about what I just said.

Revan: Very well, they can stay here as part of the federation's humanitarian effort. Jensen, Calvin, you two will be in charge of looking after these refugees. You have to provide their needs and observe them, understand?

Jensen and Calvin: Yes sir.

Revan: Alright then, also Jensen, don't forget to interview them for their records.

Jensen: Understood.

Dad and the colonel walk away as I let out a sigh.

Calvin: I suppose you were right about preparing to get our asses chewed up.

Jensen: Enough of that, Silva, Gwen, get the quartermaster to provide rations for the refugees. Daniel, Try to provide some temporary housing for them.

Everyone mentioned: Roger that.

Jensen: *sigh* At least our asses didn't get chewed up by dad.

Calvin: Yeah, your dad's intimidating...