18 - Stuck with Dylan & Kate

Third person POV

"I told you to go back and now you land into our house?! Just go away from here!" A girl with short blonde hair and blue eyes shouted to the dark haired guy who stood in front of her.

"Well well, Catalina, I've not come all the way here to go away!" The boy exclaimed.

"Don't call me that, my name's Kate," she hissed.

"I'm pretty sure that's not what's written on your birth certificate," the guy said smugly. "Oh, and we sent you here three years ago, you report well for a year and a half and after that, we lost all contact from you after you claimed that the target moved and you have no idea where she went."

"I don't want to do anything for anyone now. Just let me live! And honestly, screw you all and your missions. I'm better off here on my own!"

"Look how you speak now. Tsk tsk. Imagine what they would say if they heard you," he started and taking a seat on the bed, he went on, "ah! And if they know how much you lied or if they saw how you cut and dyed your hair... I prefer not to imagine! By the way, I almost didn't recognise you the first time I saw you with such pale hair."

"Like I even care about whatever they might think or say. Just leave me alone!" Kate snapped.

"Shh lower your tone. We don't want anyone to hear us, now do we?" He replied in a voice contrasting to the girl's loud one. After a pause, he continued, "besides I'm afraid I can't listen to you. I've been ordered to get both you and the target back."

Sighing, Kate said calmly, "Dylan, don't you see? You're being controlled. You literally follow everything you're told and have no freedom of your own. Just stop this and let's live here. See, I've got a better life and I even have a true friend. If you stay here, even you'll be able to stay with your friends."

What Kate was trying to do was put doubts in Dylan's mind. However the latter was a step ahead of her and had already seen through her plans. "Your words are not going to change my decisions, Catalina," he said ever so calmly as he leaned back, his arms supporting his upper body.

"If that's how it is, then forget about me coming with you or even leaking anything about your so-called target! That person has a life also and you have no right to snatch that freedom away!" Kate said with determination, her voice raising octaves higher with each sentence.

"Leak?" Dylan chuckled, "you really think they would send me here without updating me about everything. I already know who she is, my dear." Kate found it amazing and annoying how relaxed this boy sounded. But little did she know how his blood was boiling inside his veins at the lack of cooperation from her. They had discussions like those quite frequently in the past weeks and Kate had been ever so persistent so far.

Kate was losing her patience with this guy. He was equally persistent as her but they were both in opposition. Being done with him, she started yelling at him once again, "Listen, I've had enough of your bullshit! Just go back to Australia and tell them I'm not helping in any of this anymore. Just let her-"

Her words were cut off as the door opened and she turned to it in surprise. Her face went pale for a second as she realised who was at the door. It was her best friend, Valeria. What if she had heard all of this?

She became nervous but she masked it pretty well as she looked at Valeria questioningly. The latter told them they were going to get ice-cream. Kate feigned enthusiasm as she jumped for joy at the mention of ice-cream. "Yasss let's gooo!!" She exclaimed, trying her best to appear excited and normal.

But it was hard with everything that was going on and especially with Valeria sending her a dubious look which increased her nervousness. Kate knew that her best friend had been suspecting her antics since some time. It's true that she had been behaving suspiciously but what could be done about it?