Chapter 9

The following day started out like the first only it was longer because there were four schools instead of one. Konoha, Suna, Iwo and Oto High, all had three years each. There were a lot of students. It didn’t seem that Konoha would be able to fit everyone but it did. There were eight events total four being held each day. The second day would finish up with naming the winning school. The principal would receive the golden trophy for their school, and it would then be put on display. Hazuki scanned the crowd for Temari with no luck. There were just too many people there. However, she did spot her grandmother, Reika’s father, Shikamaru, Choji and Ino’s parents standing over to the side. Hazuki nudged Reika so she could see as she tried to hide her smirk. Reika rolled her eyes when she saw her father dressed only in Konoha’s colors along with face paint. He looked more suited for an American football game then a Sports Festival at a high school. You would think that Reika would be used to being embarrassed by her father but she wasn’t. Hazuki was just glade her grandmother wasn’t like that. However, she couldn’t be sure that her own father wouldn’t be doing the same if he was there.

        “You know if my mother was still alive she would never let him leave the house like that,” Reika whispered to Hazuki.  

Just as Reika went to say something else she was interpreted by everyone clapping meaning the events were about to start. Students who weren’t participating that day or not at all joined classmates and parents in the viewing areas that were set up around. Since there were so many students competing a lot of things were going at the same time. For example half way through the baseball games the swimming proposition would start and so on. Then when one grade was done with the field or gym then next grade would take over.

        On the first day along with Baseball and Swimming there was also Tennis and Gymnastics. On the second was Soccer, Track and Field, Kendo and Judo. Baseball, Soccer and Tennis had one team from each school. Two teams would compete until there was only one winning team left. The winning team would receive 10 points for their school. Swimming and Track both had two events one boy and girl from each event per school. There was the backstroke and butterfly for swimming and a 100m dash and the 200m for track. Boys were against boys and girls against girls. There would be four winners for each sport. Both would receive 10 points for their school. Kendo and Judo was almost the same only there would two winners per school one boy one girl and both receiving 10 points each. Gymnastic had the most events. There was balance beam, floor exercise, and vault. Four students per school a winner per event, and like the rest the winner would receive 10 points.

        Hazuki wasn’t running until tomorrow so she was free to watch and cheer on her school in the other events. Baseball was up first so everyone headed towards the baseball diamond. Konoha and Oto were up first. Naruto and Sasuke were meant to play the sport and they were so insync with one another it wasn’t a surprise that they made it to the final game. Hazuki was able to find out they were going up against Suna, which Temari brother Kankuro was on the team, before she headed over to the pool with Hinata and a few others. Hinata was up first and she was flawless. She was so fast but it looked funny the way they jumped out of the water both arms simultaneously moving but that was the butterfly stroke. They made Hazuki think a flying fish. There was just enough time to watch the boys butterfly before Reika needed to warm up for her event. There was this one boy from Oto and it was as if he was born in the water. He had straight white hair that came a little below his chin and messy bangs across his forehead.  His eyes were purple and he had pointed teeth with one tooth that stuck out when his mouth was closed. Hazuki later found out his name was Suigetsu Hōzuki and Hazuki didn’t want to admit it but he was better than any of the boys that were on their team.

        Hazuki found her grandmother and the group of parents she was with before along with a few others. She sat with them to watch Reika. After Reika changed into her leotard she came out and stood near where Hazuki was to watch the girl’s balance beam before she was up. You could tell she was nervous, but relaxed a bit when she noticed Kiba make his way in and over to where Hazuki was. He gave her his cute half smile as he took a seat.