25

The Accords

A news anchor. "Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos, when the attack occurred."

The King of Wakanda, T'Chaka."Our People's blood is spilled on foreign soil not only becuase of the actions of criminals but by the idifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory as the expense of the innocent is no victory at all.

News anchor again. "The Wakandan king went on to-"

Steve paused the screen and shared a guilty glance with me. 

"It seems you have a name now," Steve said grimly. 

I nodded. "'The Silver Spirit'," I mused. The nickname had a certain ring to it, the silver referring to the markings on my suit. I liked it, but now was not the time to revel in it.

We frowned as the voices continued in the distance and we followed it to find Wanda in her bedroom watching a similar broadcast about her. Steve clicked off that screen too.

"Stop torturing yourself." I said softly as we lingered in the doorway.

"It's my fault," she replied.

Steve shook his head. "That's not true." 

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific." Wanda's voice was sardonic.

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it," Steve said as we walked further into her room. "Rumlow said "Bucky"...and all of a sudden I was a sixteen-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn. And people died. It's on me."

My brow furrowed as Wanda said, "It's on both of us." 

"All of us," I corrected her, the pair of them looking at me. My voice had cracked halfway through. I swallowed. "It's on all of us."

Steve sighed and looked down. "This job...We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that...then next time...maybe nobody gets saved."

Before either of us could speak, Vision materialised through the wall, dressed in a collared shirt, a sweater and smart trousers. "Vis!" Wanda cried. "We talked about this." 

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..." he broke off and I pressed my lips together to keep from laughing. "Captain Rogers and Miss Stark wished to know when Mr Stark was arriving."

"Thank you. We'll be right down." Steve replied.

Vision pointed awkwardly at the door. "I'll use the door." He paused as he reached it and turned back. "Oh, and apparently he's brought a guest."

I frowned. "A guest? Who is it?" 

"The Secretary of State." Vision said solemnly as he left.

I let out a low, nervous breath and raked my hands through my hair. Steve's hand found my knee and squeezed it gently. In any other situation, it would've set something in me on fire. But this was not the time. This was far too serious, too important. We had messed up and caused too much damage and now we had to face up to our actions. 

Together.

As the three of us ventured downstairs, I spied Tony lingering by the long meeting table. His face was the image of concern. He lifted his frown as he spotted me though. 

"Tony," I half-smiled as he wrapped his arms around me briefly. 

He looked at me and sighed. Then shook his head gently. "What've you done, Rosie?" he said, his voice barely a whisper.

We Rise, Only To Fall / Steve RogersOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara