7

Wake Up

The Hulk let out another loud roar and all of us, all of the Avengers, stood in a circle watching the Chitauri, Steve on my left and Natasha on my right.

"Guys..." Natasha's worried voice alerted me to more of the massive alien ships flying through the portal.

"Call it, Captain," Tony's voice came from the other side.

I watched at Steve stepped forwards so he could see us all. "All right, listen up. Until we can close that portal our priority is containment," his head snapped to Clint. "Barton, I want you on that roof. Eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you get the perimeter. Anythings gets more than three blocks out you turn it back, or you turn it to ash."

Clint looked to Tony. "Can you give me a lift?"

"Right. Better clench up, Legolas," Tony told him as he grabbed Barton by the back and flew up.

"Thor," Steve continued. "You gotta try and bottleneck that portal. Slow them down. You got the lightening. Light the bastards up." Thor didn't reply, instead he swung his hammer round until he had enough speed to fly up, too, leaving Steve looking to me and Nat.

"You two and me, we stay here on the ground. We keep the fighting here," I nodded as he spun to look at The Hulk. "And Hulk....smash."

The Hulk grinned before launching himself into the air and onto a building.

~

I was growing tired quickly, my joints aching from fighting and limbs in pain from taking several hits. Despite being a few meters away, I could hear Steve's loud grunts of pain as he fought more Chitauri, quickly disposing of them. Nat was quieter, yet I could still hear her yells every once in a while. It wasn't until I saw her pinned against the car struggling that I ran up and shot the Chitauri in the shoulder, giving Nat the chance to take it's weapon and shoot it with it. A noise behind us panicked the two of us, and we spun round, weapons raised, to find Steve.

I sighed in relief. Nat lowered her weapon and rested against the car and I put my head in my hands to stop it from reeling; I was fatigued and dizzy by now.

"You all right, Rose?" Steve concerned voice made me lift up my head and open my eyes.

I gave him a drowsy nod. "Just peachy, Cap. Yourself?"

Before he could reply, Nat spoke up. "Captain, none of this is going to mean a damned thing if we don't close that portal."

The three of us glanced up at it and I winced at the sight of yet more Chitauri. These things must procreate more than bunnies.

"Our biggest guns couldn't touch it," Steve admitted.

I shrugged. "Well, maybe it's not about guns. If they haven't worked so far. I mean, Loki comes from a place where they don't exactly use many guns to fight with, right?" I suggested.

Natasha looked up at it with a determined look. Steve noticed. "If you wanna get up there, you're going to need a ride."

I watched as Nat looked up at the Chitauri's flying devices. "I got a ride." She walked to the other side of the bridge, calling back to Steve. "I could use a boost, though."

He backed up and readied his shield as I moved out of the way behind him. "You sure about this?" I asked her nervously.

"Yeah," she replied, not so convincingly. "It's gonna be fun." and with that, she ran and leapt onto Cap's shield as he pushed upwards, propelling her until she latched onto one of the Chitauri flying past.