24

Lagos

I sipped my coffee and eyed the situation around us. Lagos was calm as Wanda and I drank from our cups. 

"All right, what do you see?" Steve's voice asked us through our earpieces. 

"Standard beat cops," Wanda replied quietly. "Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target."

"There's an ATM on the south corner, which means?"

"Cameras." I said, taking another sip and pretending to enjoy the view of the city.

"Both cross streets are one-way."

"So, compromised escape routes." Wanda said.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen," I added, flicking my eyes to Wanda. 

"And he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out," Steve added. "You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

Wanda and I let our gaze travel over to it casually. "Yeah, the red one?" she asked. "It's cute." 

"It's also bulletproof which means private security," Natasha's voice came from the radio though she was sat at another table nearby. "which means more guns which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us."

Wanda lifted her cup. "You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" 

I gave her an amused smile. "Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature," I told her. "You need to keep an eye out for all possible threats in all possible directions."

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" Sam questioned me through my ears.

"Anybody ever tell you you're an ass, Birdie?" I replied, raising my eyebrows though I knew he was on a rooftop somewhere, unable to see me.

Sam's laugh huffed back. "Eyes on target, folks," Steve reminded us. "This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him."

"If he sees us coming, that wont be a problem, he kind of hates us." Sam replied.

"The feeling is mutual..." I muttered and wrinkled my nose. 

"Sam...you see that garbage truck?" Steve's voice grew more concerned. "Tag it."

I heard the sound of Sam's machine whirring and then, "Give me X-ray."  He was silent for a moment. "That truck's loaded for max weight. And the driver's armed."

"It's a battering ram," Natasha said, stating what we were all thinking.

"Go now." Steve ordered.

I downed my coffee and made to move as Wanda frowned. "Why?"

"He's not hitting the police."

I nodded at Wanda and the two of us set off into a run. Through my earpiece, I heard Steve launch into action, then his voice, "Body amour, AR-15s," he said, "I make seven hostiles."

Wanda used her powers and flew off as we heard gunshots. "I make five." Sam said.

"Sam." Wanda's voice came and then 

"Four."

"Save some for the rest of us will you..." I muttered as I entered the facility, joining the rest of the team on the ground.

"Rumlow's on the third floor," Sam told us. 

Steve nodded and pointed a finger at Wanda. "Wanda, just like we practised."