13

The Winter Soldier

"HYDRA doesn't like leaks," Sitwell complained. He was squished in the back of Sam's car, in between Nat and I as Sam drove and Steve took the passenger's seat.

"Then why don't you try sticking a cork in it?" Sam shot back with a sharp glance in his mirror at Sitwell.

Nat reached up to the front. "Insight's launching in sixteen hours. We're cutting it a little bit close here." She told Steve.

"I know," Steve nodded. "We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the helicarriers directly."

"What?!" Sitwell shot forward and I had to shove his back into the seat, although I didn't have to do it as harshly as I had. That was just for personal pleasure. "Are you crazy? That is a terrible, terrible idea."

Before I could respond, there was a loud thud on the car and a hand shot through the window (the glass landing on me) and reached across to grab Sitwell, pulling him out roughly and onto oncoming traffic as he screamed.

"Shit!" I yelled and Nat and I swiftly dove forward and bullets began to come through the roof. "Sorry, Sam!" I apologised as I climbed onto his lap, making sure he could still drive safely, as Nat did the same to Steve. Steve then changed gear for Sam and we sped up abruptly, the man on top of our car flying off and landing on the ground several feet in front of us.

Sam's car stopped and we all stared at the man before us. Without a word, we all knew who it was. We didn't need the confirmation that the dark black mask, long brown hair, and silver metallic arm with a red star on it gave us. This was the Winter Soldier. 

I slowly pulled out my gun, readied it, and aimed but before I could even shoot, another car collided with ours and we lurched forward, Sam grabbing my waist to stop me flying through the window. Once I was fine, he began driving, the car behind us (more like a tank, really) pushing us forward towards the Soldier. He flew up above our car landing on the roof.  I shot a bullet upwards but I knew I'd missed. Then the metallic hand came through the roof, gripped the steering wheel and pulling it out entirely. 

"Shit!" Sam panicked as I said something much stronger.

I shot again, repeatedly, as Nat joined me. A weight lifted off the car as the Soldier leaped onto the tank-like car behind us. It sped up and crashed into us again, and without a steering wheel, we veered onto the side of the road, hitting the barrier and we began to skid along dangerously.

"Grab onto me!" Steve ordered, readying his shield. Sam pushed me onto Steve and Nat, his arms around me and we all clung onto Steve as he pushed through his door, the four of us dropping out of the car as it flew in the air and landing with a thud on the road. We slid along until Sam lost his grip,  breaking from Steve, Nat and I as he rolled to a stop near the enemy's car, the three of us a few feet away. 

We watched as the Soldier grabbed a large black gun, aiming it at the three of us. Instinctively, Steve pushed Nat and I out of the way as the Soldier fired, a huge blast of fire radiating as Steve's shield was hit, propelling Steve into the air and off the bridge we were on. 

The Soldier and his teammates began shooting rapidly at Sam, Nat and I as we ducked for cover behind cars.

"Plan?!" I yelled to two of them but they gave me a panicked, blank look. 

"Don't get shot!" Sam called back as Nat and I began firing back, moving further back down the bridge. At one point, Nat separated and I saw the Soldier's attention direct to her as she made her way onto the other side of the road and down off the bridge towards Steve.