Close The Barrier

I fold my arms across my t-shirt and stare down at my boots, shifting uncomfortable.

"I think we all know why we're here."  Dad begins.  Mal has her arms crossed, too, and Ben looks between Mal, me, and then Dad.  "The people are in a panic about Hades. He almost got out."  Ben chuckles and shakes his head.  I elbow him in the ribs and face Dad, "That wasn't our fault.  And I pushed him back."  "And severely weakened yourself with magic we didn't know you had," Dad points out and I mumble, "Touche."  I could barely stand after that.  Jay had to carry me to my dorm and Allison almost had a heart attack.

"Who knows what he would've done if he had escaped?" FGM reminds us.  I sigh and shake my head, looking down as Dad adds, "We can't risk having another villain on the loose."

Mal looks at Ben and I, "I really feel like this is my fault.  I'm supposed to protect Auradon."

Ben tries to comfort her, "You did- you do protect Auradon."  I add, "It's not your fault Hades was fast."  She weakly smiles.

"Every time we open the barrier, we're exposed to danger. Maleficent, Uma, Hades."  Ben and I stare at him just as our phones start buzzing.  I put my right arm around Mal as I check and Ben turns his back to us.  My mouth drops open and I gasp.  Mal's head snaps from the window to me, "What's wrong?"

Ben turns around and takes a deep breath, "Maleficent's scepter and the queen's crown have been stolen."  Dad takes his glasses off and points them at us, "Uma."  Of course he would immediately blame Uma even though it could be anyone.

"Dad, we don't know that," I remind him.  Mom shakes her head, "When the people hear this, they will never wanna leave their houses.  What do we tell them?"  Mom, Dad, and FGM turn to Mal, "Mal?  What do we do?  How do we keep evil out of Auradon?"

Mal takes a deep breath and I step back to give her some air, "I think that there's only...one way to guarantee their safety.  And I think that there...can't be anymore going in and out."

Mom and Dad and FGM nod and I take another step back.

Please...Mal.  Please don't say it...

"I think that we have to close the barrier...forever."

I stumble backwards towards Ben.  He shakes his head and leaves, "No. No, no, no."  I follow him, arms crossed and my nails digging into my arm so hard, I can see crescent shaped moons on my skin.

Mal follows us and we stop walking, "I do not want to take away your dream- because it was so beautiful.  And Ben, it is why I fell in love with you.  And Brielle, that's why we got along so quickly and so well.  But...as Queens and King, what is our duty?"

Ben looks close to tears, "To protect Auradon."  Mal nods and I lower my voice, "Do you know what this means?  All those kids...are you prepared for that?"

"I know what this means...and no- I am not prepared for it.  I just think we have no other choice."

Dad walks forward, "Son...daughter...Mal's right."  Mal walks over to them, "I just think we wouldn't forgive ourselves if something bad happened again."

I shake my head and walk away.  I can hear everyone calling me, but I brush my tears off my cheeks and keep walking.