Scene 17 - Report damage

Two days later, the moon still drifts out into the unknown, uncharted regions of space. Continually searching for a new planet to call home. hurtling towards some unpredictable world or unknown system. Moonbase Alpha – the occupants of 311 members of the scientists and explorers, roughly. 882 days after leaving Earth's orbit. Repairs on the entire base had been completed now. Only in two short days. Koenig is left to stare back out into space, wondering what they will encounter next. Dr. Russel and Professor Bergman arrive to join him.

Dr. Russel:

John?

Commander Koenig:

Helena? Victor?

Victor:

You did it John. You saved Alpha.

Dr. Russel:

We've just completed our final repairs on the base.

Victor:

And I must admit, two days must be record time. Considering the plant invaded every square inch of Alpha.

Commander Koenig:

Good. Damage report?

Dr. Russel:

Not good. 199 died in the hands of that plant.

Commander Koenig:

167!

Victor:

Yes. Those poor unfortunate devils.

Commander Koenig:

We're all unfortunate to have lived through that experience. Everyone who was blasted out of Earth's orbit has been unfortunate. We don't even know how Earth has survived these few years. Disaster probably.

Victor:

That might be something that we never know the answer to.

Commander Koenig:

And if we had never of visited Varga, we would still have had 167 members aboard.

Dr. Russel:

John, you can't blame yourself for it.

Victor:

And they too were consumed by the plant. And you destroy their life support system might mean that they never survive.

Commander Koenig:

They nearly wiped us out Victor! And that is my responsibility! And this job! They were an evil race. Anyone that has ever visited Varga has been killed by that nightmare.

Dr. Russel:

John, thanks to you though we could all have been extinct.

Victor:

Yes, true.

The three then stare out into space again.

Commander Koenig:

You know I've been thinking. About the life forms, we've encountered. Some peaceful. Some hostile. One thing we've learnt is that we can never be too certain about life out in this terrible voyage. And that will keep us more prepared for what is yet to come. The terrors we are yet to face. The horrors we are to encounter. And more importantly, the question remains about a new planet to come home to. That question will one day be answered. And we can only leave that for what is to come...

End.

(End credits)