Scene 10 - The Gas

The roots grow out in space, wrapping themselves around the entire base. Some roots dig and rocket through down to the Moon's core, leading down underground. The other roots blocked by the massive steel wall still press through powerfully, a deadly smog is released from the plant in the lab, rushing through the corridor and snaking through the vents. It rushes through all the ventilation shafts, all across Alpha. It feels like hundreds of crew members and personnel rushing and hurrying up and down the corridors, and in some parts of the base, where those who do not have their own suits, begin seeing the white smog emerge. They quickly dash away, although some run into it! They begin coughing and choking on it – dead. Their bodies are covered by the white smog covering their corpses. In Main Mission, Koenig, Victor and Kano have their suits fitted on.

Victor:

The thing will destroy Alpha!

Commander Koenig:

We know Victor! We need Helena and the others to get to Main Mission first!

Now, the entire base has quickly fitted on some spacesuits and rush to safety, but the plant was growing everywhere! More roots begin snaking through the vents, dragging the dead nightmarishly out and through the vents for the plant to devour. BOOM! A root that buried itself underground bursts through another corridor in Alpha, as more gas is released and the roots quickly spread. Helena, Sandra and Paul narrowly miss the root growing around.

Dr. Russel:

We have to get to Main Mission. It's the safest place!

Paul:

Then come on. Hurry!

One of those roots grabs an unfortunate man as it wraps around his entire body, screaming "No" and failing to fight off the growing roots. It breaks his glass from his suit, suffocating him as he dies horridly, and left for the creature to consume. Most of the Alphans have rushed over to Main Mission, where the outside roots have begun wrapping around the entire base, and massive roots dig up and down the moon at a terrifying speed. Some jump over the base, some smash through! Others dig up from the ground to claim more victims.

Commander Koenig:

Main Mission, Alan where are you?

Alan:

I'm afraid I'm locked in my Eagle. I can't get out!

Commander Koenig:

Where's Helena and the others?

Alan:

They're on their way to Main Mission. John, it's not only the roots of the plant from destroying the base, it's begun releasing a toxic gas.

Commander Koenig:

That shouldn't be too bad with our suits.

Alan:

Yes, but if it broke the casing!

Commander Koenig:

Hey, I've got an idea!

Moonbase Alpha was smothered with roots and leaves, like ivy over-growing from a house. The entire base had been succumbed to it.

Victor:

John, this thing isn't going to stop until it eats every single one of us!

Commander Koenig:

Use blasters!

The crew grab the guns. The roots smash and smash and smash every window in the entire complex! SMASH! SMASH! SMASH! It wraps around another one of the crew, dragging them to their grizzly fate horribly.

David:

Commander, we will never be able to destroy this thing!

Commander Koenig:

But we must!

David:

Computer report suggests that this growing organism cannot be destroyed to the rapid extent it is accelerating. I'm sorry John, but we are left for dead!

The Commander stares terrified at us. The base was covered with this plant. Moonbase Alpha was doomed!