[ 19 ]

"Mother and son cried together, their dinner left untouched."

Roman's POV

Surprisingly, emotional turmoil really helps you sleep, or that's what Roman deduced, anyway. After he finished his cold dinner, he went to bed and was out like a lamp. And now, sitting on a public bus, he was just itching for something to do. He hadn't really thought about the whole father situation; it kind of stressed him out, so he was really looking for something to get his mind of things. And there was nothing quite like roaming around the empty school, pretending to be at chess club, when he was actually looking for more of those coded messages.

Roman pushed open the school door, stifling a yawn. Was 10 hours of sleep not enough for you, body? Even the freezing winds couldn't blow away the fog that sat in his head. He stretched his arms as he meandered around the school; it was so peaceful, and empty. There was something remarkably pleasing to see something usually so chaotic be tranquil. Roman walked towards the area where he first found the notes. Why on earth had they been on the floor? Did the messengers have no secrecy? Roman found that highly unlikely. There had been a big fight that day... maybe the notes had spilled out the bin? That seemed plausible. Roman was just about to walk past the lockers when something caught his eye. A flash of white, tucked behind the lockers. What's this? Roman reached out his hand to tug the piece of paper out from behind the locker, when the sound of footsteps made his heart leap. WHO WAS THAT?! Was it the person receiving the message?! Just about stifling a scream, Roman hurriedly looked around for a hiding place. The bin? No freaking way! Could he run? No... the person might hear him. Shit! Come on Roman, think... think...
Roman's eyes drifted towards the empty locker adjacent to the one the note was tucked behind. No. Fucking. Way. The footsteps echoed closer.

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

Screw it.

Roman flung open the locker door and somehow managed to squeeze himself inside. This was so much easier in Year 7, God Dammit! He closed the door and locked it from the inside, trying to quieten his breathing.

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

From the small gap in the locker, he saw a pair of polished leather shoes stop next to his hiding place.

Roman held his breath, his heart pounding so fast he was sure the other would hear.

Shit, shit, shit.

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

The footsteps moved away.

Roman almost cried with relief.

He listened silently as the figure removed the note, quickly read it and tore it apart. Roman assumed from their footsteps that the person was putting each torn piece in a different bin. Then, THANK GOD, the footsteps faded away.

Roman took a second to let out a quiet scream. He then flung open the locker door and fell out onto the floor. He lay there, spread-eagled on the ground, trying in vain to get his heart to beat at a normal pace.

"What the fuck are you doing, Princey?"