23 Glitter

M A X

I looked at my car, blinking slowly. It was filled to the brim with balloons. Pink, green, yellow, blue, a whole rainbow of balloons taking up all available space.

I now understood why Derek wanted to borrow my car while I got dinner with Zane last night. I also understood why he was up and out of the house before I even finished my morning shower. He wanted to flee the scene of the crime. I honestly didn't think he had it in him.

His dad, Mr. Goldford, stood next to me, sipping his coffee. "Who'd you piss off?" His eyes were still partially closed from sleep, but his smirk was undeniable. He'd probably watched this all go down last night and done nothing.

"A girl and her family of pranksters."

"Hell hath no fury, eh?" He elbowed me in the side.

"I'm going to have to get those balloons out before I drive anywhere," I grumbled. "I'm going to be late for school."

"Tough luck." And he wandered back into the house, not even pretending like he was going to offer to help.

I frowned at his retreating back. Maybe I should demand his help, say education was important or something to that effect. Mr. Goldford walked back into the house and shut the door without once looking back at me or my situation. Any plea I made would fall on deaf ears.

I threw my bag on the ground and opened the driver's side door. I didn't have time to clear out all the balloons, but I'd need to get some out to drive.

I dragged the garbage can over and started tossing them in. I grabbed one, pushing it into the back and it popped, followed by two more.

That's when I discovered the glitter inside the balloons. It showered the interior of my car in a colorful spray of pinks and silver. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from screaming. Glitter. It was like a craft WMD. I'd sell this car one day and I'd still have glitter clinging to me.

I commenced moving the balloons, being extra careful not to pop anymore. Two more popped, showering glitter everywhere despite my best efforts. Fantastic. Eventually, I was able to climb in and get the car started. I noticed a slight fishy smell and decided now was not the time to ask questions or investigate. I didn't want any more balloons to pop on me. After school, when my car had sat in the sun all day, that fish smell would be a different story, but for now, it was only mildly annoying

My horn honked when I switched into reverse. I nearly crashed into the house from surprise. "What the hell?" Every time I hit the brakes the horn blared. By the time I got to the end of the driveway, Mr. Goldford was outside yelling at me to stop honking. I screamed back that I wished I could.

The drive to school was miserable.

Every stop sign, middle braking resulting in me alerting the entire town to my whereabouts. When I pulled into the parking lot I thought I'd go mad. Maybe I could just abandon the car at school and let it get towed. The honking would still haunt my dreams though. The main character in the Tell Tale Heart went mad from the beating of the hideous heart. I'd dump the car in the Hudson River and be driven mad by the incessant honking.

I parked and scurried away from my car, avoiding the stares of the denizens of Cedar Creek High as they marveled at my amazing honking car. I didn't even bother going to my locker. I ran to Spanish class instead.

Derek waited in the classroom alone. He had a huge grin on his face, though he attempted to conceal it behind his textbook. We still had fifteen minutes until class started. If I killed him now, there would be no witnesses.

"I could hear you coming from a mile away," he laughed. "You should really get that checked out."

"What did you do to my car?"