"What about our slayers?" Natsu could hear his heart pounding in his head. He'd seen no signs of this in his friends, but he couldn't help but feel guilty at the thought that it was a possibility.

"I don't know what to tell you. I still think they'll be fine," Atlas scratched his muzzle with his claws, looking pensive, "They don't use their magic as much, and they certainly don't bathe themselves in the blood of other dragons. You don't understand the amounts of magic these dragon slayers are using daily. But when I create a counterspell, I can offer them the choice to keep their magic or return it to their dragons."

Natsu knew Atlas was trying to be reassuring, but it wasn't helping. Give up their magic? Would they really want to do that? It was such a big part of who they were now, and of what drew them together. More than ever before, he wanted to keep them as far away from the war front as he could.

"How bad is it?"

Although the question was vague, Natsu knew Atlas would understand what he was asking.

"Bad kid, if you don't mind I'm going to wait for the others to get here before I get into that, I'm too tired to tell the story twice, and frankly it's not a happy tale."

Natsu could feel Atlas' eyes on him, studying him carefully, and as he met his gaze, it surprised him to see Atlas looked uncertain. It wasn't something Natsu had ever seen before, and for the first time, he wondered how much fighting in the war had changed their dragons.

"What is it?"

After a long silence, Atlas finally responded, and Natsu could sense how hard this decision had been for his uncle.

"I need to ask something of you. Something I'm not proud of, but you're the only one I can trust."

"You want me to come back with you, don't you?"

Atlas nodded, "I need you to take over your father's protection so I can work on something. It might be the only chance we have left to salvage this mess."

"You know Dad isn't going to like this."

"I know, but I think this war has taught us both that what we would like and what is are two very different things. Igneel won't like it, and he'll possibly never forgive me for it, but eventually, he'll come to accept the need for it."

Natsu was terrified. He'd only gone up against one dragon, and that hadn't exactly gone great. How on Earth was he going to protect his dad when he'd barely been able to defend himself? But he knew Atlas would never ask this of him if there were any other way. This war had to end, and he would do his best to make that happen. For all of them.

Natsu pushed all his doubts and fears out of his mind. This was something he had to do.

"Alright, I'll go."

"Thanks. I hope you don't come to regret it."

Natsu couldn't agree more. He wasn't looking forward to what would come next.

Atlas lay back down, eyes half-lidded as he peered at his nephew with interest. "Now, why don't we talk about something else for a while? Why were you flying around in your dragon form in broad daylight? What's all this about a spell?"

Natsu thought about where to start. He was thrilled to see his uncle. Even though he knew his presence was only going to create sadness for him and everyone around him. "Everyone's been concerned about me and trying to figure out what I've been doing at night. I held them off as long as I could, but then I got attacked by a silver dragon a few days ago. It injured me pretty badly."

Natsu heard a strangled noise and suddenly felt the familiar warmth of his uncle's healing magic flow through him, even as the great dragon rubbed his muzzle against Natsu's face. His uncle's reaction, a stark contrast to other times he'd been injured, surprised Natsu. Atlas usually seemed almost pleased at his discomfort.