Santa Monica

Andrew

Cam stands there looking shocked. I think we're all secretly screaming inside.

Shane's beaming at a trembling Ryland. Stroking his back encouragingly.

"You go, babe."

"You can't do anything. No one will ever believe you. You have no proof."

"Maybe not, but that doesn't mean I can't try my best."

"I could run, then you'd never find me."

Why is he telling us his plans? Should he not be running by now?

"I mean you could, but I did just call the police."

A voice comes up behind us.

"Morgan? What are you doing here?"

She shrugs nonchalantly.

"Thought you might want some help. Although you sounded like you were doing just fine."

Cam makes a break to run, until some kind stranger steps in, having heard our discussion. Restraining him. I'm loving this. He's finally going to have to face what he's done.

The police turn up a few minutes later just as my phone rings, forcing me to step away from the drama.

Garrett

"Hey?"

"Hi, Andrew."

"Gare? Is that you? Where are you? I'll come get you."

I ignore his questions, breathing deeply.

"I-i can't tell you."

"Why not? I want to help."

Pinching my nose, I brace myself for the conversation.

"I-I know you do. And I don't deserve that. I never did. I never did. I didn't deserve any of you. Your smile. Your help. Your kindness. Your massages. That stutter which was the cutest thing ever. Your laugh, which is my favourite thing in the whole goddamn world."

"Garrett."

I can sense the panic in his voice. He knows what this is. I think he knows what I'm about to do.

"Garrett."

He repeats himself, at a loss for words.

I can feel the tears building in my eyes. I have to say it now. I have to get through it. Because this is my last chance.

"Just let me finish, ok?"

He grows silent, his breathing steady on the phone.

"I loved you from the first moment I met you. When I badmouthed your girlfriend. I still have no idea how you put up with her."

I laugh, holding back tears.

"Garrett, please."

"Let me finish this."

Andrew

I hate this. I know what this is. I wish I didn't but I do. And I can't do anything. I have no idea where he is.

I'm trying to keep calm, to not have a breakdown.

"That first night, I was so happy. I hadn't been happy in weeks and then I was. You thought I was funny, which no one else does. You got me, so for the first time I let my walls come down."

Is he seriously quoting Katy Perry right now?

"Sorry for quoting, you know how much I loved that song."