Chapter Fourteen: Championships

One month later, the day of State Championships

I retied my cleats for the hundredth time, trying to make sure they were laced up perfectly. I picked my head up to see Liz smiling at me. When she saw me looking she gave me a thumbs up and turned away to check and make sure she had everything.

I walked over to where Mack was getting ready, to see her bumbling like an idiot while trying to talk to Alex. The effect wasn't one sided though, Alex was could barely say a sentence in a normal voice without her voice cracking. I smiled at the sight, walking away to leave the two in peace.

I grabbed my bags and walked out to the bus, grabbing a seat in one of the middle rows. I would ask Liz to sit next to me, but she normally grabs a seat by herself and listens to music. She was really hot when she did that, she would close her eyes and look totally focused, as if she was untouchable.

After everyone finally settled into a seat on the bus, our 3 hour drive to North New Jersey started. Citrus High was about to get a beating.

Time skip, 85 minutes into the game. So far it's a 0-0 tie

I sprinted down the right wing, skillfully dribbling the ball. Jackie switched to the striker position, running into the box with Mack. I hit a perfect cross, one that should come into contact with Mack's head. Mack leaped up, coming in perfect contact with the ball.

But it wasn't meant to be. Mack didn't hit it right and the goalie easily grabbed it. Well shit. I ran back into position, getting ready for when my team got the ball back.

Our team finally got the ball back, and it was about to reach the midfield when I heard a loud TWEET signaling the end of the game. Shit!

We played a hard 30 minutes in extra time, but the score remained 0-0. That only meant one thing, penalty kicks. Well fuck me.

"You good Al?" Mack asked me, breaking me out of trance.

"Yeah! All good, just pissed we have to go to Pks,"

"Yeah I felt that," She responded as we walked over to the huddle where coach would be giving the penalty kick lineup.

"Alright! In order of kick the lineup is, Alex, Jay, Zoe, Mack, and Allie. If we don't win with those, we'll go from there," Coach whispered into the huddle after reading off her clipboard. Jay and Zoe were both defenders, but they both had one hell of a shot.

Liz and the other team keeper went up to the ref for the coin toss. We lost and Liz was going to be in the goal first. We went to the half, our arms all over each other's shoulders in a straight line.

The first girl from their team went up, and Liz dove left. The girl shot right. 1-0. Their team erupted.

Alex went up, a look the opposite of her normal cheerful expression on her face. The goalie dove to the right, and Alex shot it where she was seconds before. Straight down the middle. Our team screamed, jumping and releasing each other's shoulders for a minute. 1-1.

The second girl came up from their team, and Liz dove into the upper 90 of the left side and made a remarkable save. 1-1.

Jay went up, and scored easily. 2-1.

Their third player went up and scored, 2-2.

Zoe went up and hit the ball towards the upper 90, hitting the crossbar then bouncing back towards us after the goalie slightly tapped it upwards. 2-2.

Their forth player went up, worry written all over their face. As they looked at Liz, she smiled and winked, making them nervously look down again. They shot the ball, hitting it low to the right corner, Liz diving and making another incredible save. 2-2.

Mack went up, hitting the ball perfectly into the upper right corner. 3-2.

Their fifth player went up, planting the ball onto the spot. She nailed it into the lower left corner. 3-3. Well fuck.

I walked up the spot, if I scored this goal, we won. Simple as that. If I missed, we went into extra PKs. I stared into the goalies eyes, trying to sike her out. I planted the ball down, and backed up. I jogged to the ball, planted my foot down, and soared the ball into the lower right corner. The goalie didn't even move. HELL YEAH!!!!!!

I sprinted over to Liz who was on the side of the net since she was a goalie and had to be ready to go back in. I jumped up and she caught me, and we engaged in a searing kiss. Well so much for coming out. We weren't alone for long though, because soon a whole team of 16 other people were crowding around us, picking me and Liz both up (separated now) and screaming. We did it! We beat Citrus! Fuck yeah!

Everyone started to separate, girls going to boyfriends and girlfriends who had run onto the field. I looked around, and after doing a double take I saw Alex and Mack kissing. That's my girl! I turned back to my own girlfriend, giving her a hug and letting her carry me bridal style over to the parents while I giggled. Coach came over, congratulating us and telling us to go home and celebrate. We cheered, as she handed us the trophy, us all crowding into a huddle to raise into the air for a picture. After we all admired it for a few minutes, she took it back and said it would be in a case in the lobby tomorrow.

"So who's that?" My Mom came over and asked, pointing towards Liz who was hugging her Dad.

"Oh-um.... Mom that's my girlfriend, Liz,"

"I'll have to meet her one time,"

"Yeah, yeah you will," I was going to walk over to her, but her Dad was hugging her and murmuring something about how her Mom would be so proud. I left them be. I walked back to my own parents, my Dad giving me a high five and a hug that practically choked me.

"MEET AF FRIENDLY'S!!!!" Zoe called as she went over to her parents car. After begging our parents to go, we all piled into our parents cars to drive over to the local Friendly's. (A/n I'm not sure if they have Friendly's everywhere, I just know that there are a ton of them in NJ. I love it there btw. It's basically a restaurant known for their sundaes and ice cream)

We all finally started the long drive home after stuffing our faces with food and ice cream. The day couldn't have been better.

-TiredBean