50

Chapter 50 || The Crowning of The Serpent Queen

Towards the end of the week, dad called a Serpent meeting down by the river. Obviously, I was already there, scanning the gathering Serpents with a soft smile.

"How you holding up, kid?" Dad asked, handing me a beer.

"I'm managing." I said, sipping the beverage. "He ignores me most of the time."

"You need to forget about him." Dad growled out. "If he's stupid enough to let you go, he never deserved you in the first place."

"I miss him." I said quietly.

"You deserve someone better than him, Katarina." Dad told me. "You deserve the world, babygirl."

"Yeah." I sighed, sipping the beer in my hands. "I guess so."

"Come on." Dad offered me a hand. I took it and let him pull me over the the small makeshift stage he and Jughead built with a few other Serpents. "Ready to take over?"

"What?" I asked as he jumped up on the pallets.

"Listen up now!" Dad yelled, drawing the Serpents' attention. "Hey, listen up!"

I whistled and the music instantly died. Dad sent me a smile and then looked out at the Serpents.

"Some 60 years ago," He spoke. "The very first Serpent meeting took place on these same riverbanks. And it makes sense that this is where we gather now, where I..."

Dad trailed off, glancing down at me.

"Where I say my goodbye." He finished. My heart dropped. "Katarina, would you step up here, kid?"

I handed my beer to a Serpent beside me and reluctantly made my way up to my father's side. He pat my shoulder gently and smiled softly.

"Daddy, what are you doing?" I asked quietly.

"What I should've done a long time ago." He answered, turning to the Serpents as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "I'm retiring from the Serpents. For real this time."

The Serpents let out collective groans, confused at my dad's statement.

"Whoa." He raised his hand to calm them down. "But my daughter... My daughter has never stopped fighting for this crew."

"Daddy..." I trailed off.

"Hell," Dad continued, ignoring me. "She died for it. That's why I'm giving you the mantle."

The Serpents cheered as he turned to me. I looked up at him, clearly shocked.

"And now, as your first official duty as Serpent Queen..." Dad continued, waving Toni over. She reached into her duffel bag and handed my dad a candy apple red Serpent jacket. He held it up and then handed it to me. "I think you know what to do with this."

"Dad." I tried to protest.

"Take it." He urged. I took the jacket from his hand and nodded at him. He walked off the stage as the Serpents cheered, Jughead and Fangs the loudest.

"Alright, alright." I quieted them down. "All I can say is... I love you, daddy. And the Serpents will not die out. You're my family, and I don't plan on losing any one of you any time soon."

Again, they cheered. I held an arm out, waving Cheryl over. I helped her into her new jacket and smiled widely.

"Thank you, Kitten." She beamed, kissing my cheek.

"Welcome to the family, Cherry." I smiled, clapping along with the other Serpents at our newest addition. "Now, let's party!"

I scooped up my beer and chugged it, searching for another beer. I was handed a new bottle by Fangs, and I smiled as I popped the top off of it.

"Thanks, Fangs."

"To our Serpent Queen!" He shouted, holding up his cup.

"To our queen!" The Serpents chanted, raising their drinks. I blushed as I gulped down some of my beer.

"Don't ever do that to me again." I hissed, smiling as I brushed past him. Sweet Pea was standing behind him, watching me. I ignored him and moved on, falling into a group of younger Serpents.

"Want to come with me to Pop's?" Jughead asked. "I'm meeting Betty, Archie, and Veronica."

"Nah," I refused, reaching for a shot glass. "I'm good here."

"Have fun then, Kitty." He said, watching me knock back the shot.

"Will do." I nodded.

--------

The next day, the whole school piled into the gym to watch Archie Andrews get inaugurated. Reggie dragged me over to sit behind Sweet Pea, and beside Veronica. Of course, I was still riding out the high of yesterday, so I complied. A row of Serpents sat behind me, offering me extra protection, and the row in front of me was mostly Serpents. They wanted to keep me safe, not wanting a repeat of Riot Night.

"Students, faculty and staff," Weatherbee spoke, watching the River Vixens dance off the court. "Before we inaugurate Archie Andrews as our new student council president, please rise for our national anthem."

Reggie helped me up, even though I'd gotten my stitches taken out before the crowing of me last night. I was still a little sore, but I didn't need his help. I appreciated it nonetheless, and turned my attention down to Josie as we placed our hands on our hearts. Archie sent me a smile, and I grinned back, sending him a supportive nod. His expression dropped, and then Minetta and two deputies stormed toward him.

"What the hell?" I muttered, trying to hear what Minetta was saying to Archie. Josie stopped singing and Minetta made a chilling announcement.

"Sheriff Minetta, what are you doing?" Archie asked as he was cuffed.

"Archie Andrews, you're under arrest for the murder of Shadow Lake resident, Cassidy Bullock." Sheriff Minetta announced.

"What?" Archie asked. "I didn't kill hi-"

"You have the right to remain silent." Minetta cut him off. As Minetta read him his Miranda Rights, the Serpents looked to me for guidance.

"What the hell went on that weekend, Jug?" I snapped, looking over Veronica and Betty at my twin.

"He didn't do it." Jughead stated, looking at me with panic in his eyes.