24

Chapter 24 || Acclimating

At the Wyrm after school, Sweet Pea was playing an arcade game, Toni was watching Jughead pace and I was flipping through the pages of a book I was assigned to read.

"I can't believe you guys don't even see it." Jughead said. "Weatherbee is profiling us. Telling us what to wear."

Toni and I shared a look.

"What's next? Brain implants controlling what we think?" Jughead continued.

"Jughead, you sound like a conspiracy nut." Toni said. "A school closed down."

"A crappy school." Sweet Pea added, not looking away from his game.

"Yeah, and now we're at a better one." Toni continued. "With a computer lab, and text books..."

"And toilets that flush," Sweet Pea listed.

"Getting transferred to Riverdale High is the best thing that could have happened." Toni stated. I turned to the next page, nodding at what Toni said. Transferring gave the Serpents a chance at a better education.

"Maybe ever." Sweet Pea added. I grabbed another book out of my backpack and chucked it at his head. He flinched at the pain, losing his game.

"So if I have to take off my jacket, 8:30 to 3:00, Monday through Friday..." Toni trailed off. "Hey, I'm down with that."

Sweet Pea picked up the book I threw at him and walked over to me.

"I said maybe." Sweet Pea pouted.

"You should be certain," I started, turning the page. "That I'm the best thing that could have happened in your life."

"I'm certain," Sweet Pea said, plucking the book from my hands. "That you are the best thing that has ever happened to me, Katarina Jones."

He placed a soft kiss on my lips.

"And I love you." He added.

"I love you too, Sweets." I smiled, grabbing my book from him and opening it again.

--------

The next day at school I wore my normal leather jacket, not feeling completely comfortable without a jacket on. Sweet Pea picked me up and brought me to school. He pulled me onto his lap when we sat in the student lounge, wrapping his arms around me.

"Hey guys." Jughead greeted, walking into the lounge. "What's up?"

"Jughead, you idiot." I snapped, jumping off of Sweet Pea's lap.

"Take it off." Reggie demanded, eyeing Jughead's Serpent jacket. I stepped behind Jughead, glaring at Reggie. He stood, walking over to Jughead and I, causing Fangs and Sweet Pea to walk towards us too.

"Take off that jacket, Rat Boy." Reggie demanded again. Jughead pushed me aside, stepping up to Reggie.

"Oh, Reggie." He sighed. "I don't think you know what this jacket means. Because you have no sense of honor. Or history, or loyalty."

"That's it." Reggie snapped, reaching for Jughead. I grabbed his hand, pushing it away from my brother.

"Try it again, and you'll lose your hand." I snarled. He grabbed me, pushing me into the arms of one of his Bulldog's as he tried to pry the jacket off of Jughead. I tried to get loose, but the Bulldog had a strong grip; every time I moved, his grip tightened. I could feel the bruises forming under his hands. Fangs and Sweet Pea jumped in, trying to help Jughead out. I stomped on the Bulldog's toes, forcing him to let go of me.

"Mr. Weatherbee!" I heard Veronica call. He came running into the lounge, separating us as best he could. I was the most defiant, shooting daggers at the Bulldog who held me.

"Miss Jones, calm down!" Weatherbee yelled, dragging me to his office. Reggie, Toni, Fangs, Jughead, and Sweet Pea followed after us. I spotted Veronica waiting for us and I glared at her next.

"You all have a week's detention for fighting." Weatherbee announced.

"I wasn't fighting!" I snapped, tugging my arm out of Weatherbee's hand. "I was being restrained and I got free."

"By breaking his toes." Weatherbee scoffed. I tore off my jacket, exposing the bruised the Bulldog left on my upper arms.

"He deserved it." I snapped. Weatherbee faltered, taking in my bruised arms. "But I'll serve your detention."

I walked over to Sweet Pea, sitting beside him angrily. He tried to grab my hand but I shook my head.

"Kitty, are you okay?" Sweet Pea asked as we were released from Weatherbee's office.

"I'm fine." I snapped, pulling my jacket back on. People in the hallways looked at me with concern but I rolled my eyes. "Yes, they're bruises. No, he didn't give them to me. Go about your business!"

"Baby, come on, talk to me." Sweet Pea sighed, pulling me into his arms. I tried to fight out of his hug, I did, but when his fingers started to brush through my hair, I melted into his arms.

"I'm just upset over Jughead being a dumb ass." I sighed, letting my eyes slide shut.

"It'll be okay, baby. FP will talk some sense into him." Sweet Pea reassured. I leaned up, looking into his eyes.

"I love you." I said, making him smile. He leaned down and kissed me softly.

"I love you too."

--------

"What the fu-" I was cut off by Toni throwing our new uniforms in my face. I glared at the disgusting outfit, frowning as I changed alongside Toni and Baby.

"Just gotta deal with it, Kitty." Toni sighed, pulling on her navy blue shirt. I groaned as I put on the long sleeved gray shirt I was handed. I put on a matching blue shirt to Toni's and rolled my eyes as I pulled on the khaki skinny jeans.

"I'm going to scream." I deadpanned, buckling my brown belt.

"You look good." Baby said.

"No, you look good." I stated. "I look terrible."

Toni rolled her eyes and grabbed my backpack and my hand. She pulled me all the way from the girls locker room to the student lounge. She shoved me into Sweet Pea and crossed her arms.

"Your girlfriend thinks she looks terrible. Toni announced, handing Sweets my backpack before she took off with Baby to get a coffee.

"You don't look terrible." Sweet Pea tried.

"Don't lie to me." I warned.

"Well, you look warm." Sweet Pea laughed nervously.

"And you look alright in this color, but not so great in that turtleneck." I stated, crossing my arms.

"What the hell?" Jughead said, walking into the lounge. "Guys..."

"Weatherbee gave them to us." Toni said, walking with Sweets and I up to Jughead. Said he understood that not every Southside student had the means to purchase Riverdale High acceptable clothes."

"I went to school here!" I all but yelled. "I have plenty I can wear that is accepted here!"

"He thinks this will help us fit in." Toni continued, handing me her coffee. "You're frustrated, drink some caffeine."

I sipped her drink and felt almost instantly better.

"I still look like shit." I stated, handing her the coffee. Baby let out a laugh from beside us. I glared at her black jeans and pastel pink shirt.

"Where's Fogarty?" Jughead asked.

"He wouldn't wear the uniform," Sweet Pea answered. "So they got rid of him, suspended him."

"So our choices are conform or be cast out." Jughead said.

"Yeah." Toni and I confirmed. I rolled my eyes, scratching at my arms.

"Stupid long sleeves." I huffed.