1

Chapter 1 || Southside Trash

The door to the trailer opened, revealing my twin brother Jughead holding a bag of food from Pop's and three coffees. I watched from down the hall as he took in the now clean trailer, smiling happily. Dad walked out of the bathroom, capturing the attention of Jughead.

"Dad." He beamed. "Have you been body snatched?"

"Well, I feel good Jug." Dad said, walking into our small kitchen with his arms outstretched. "Wanted to look good too. Shaved, your sister cleaned the place up a bit, we re-painted a little."

"I got us some coffee and donuts." Jug smiled, handing our father the drinks and the bag. I silently walked into the kitchen and grabbed a coffee, sipping the caffeinated drink.

"I read your essay- manuscript." Dad told Jughead. I stood off to the side with a small smile while the two conversed, taking in the scene of the two on speaking terms again.

"You did?" Jug asked.

"I asked you for it, didn't I?" Dad countered.

"I don't know, I just thought you were pretending to be interested." Jug admitted, leaning against the counter beside me.

"This," Dad said, tapping the stack of papers Jughead gave to him. "Is excellent. Me, I can barely string two sentences together, but you. You got a gift. Thank God you're not wasting it. Mind if I ask you a couple questions?" Dad asked, settling into his chair.

"Yeah," Jughead nodded, settling into a chair across from out dad. "Of course."

"Why Jason Blossom?" Dad asked, pouring a few packets of sugar into his cup. "Of all the things you could write about, why pick a dead kid?" Before Jughead could answer, a knock sounded at the door. I smiled and kissed Dad on the cheek.

"That's Toni and the boys, love you dad." I grabbed my bag, sending Jughead a smile before walking out the door. I was wrapped up in two pairs of arms, causing me to almost spill my coffee.

"Easy ladies, easy." I chuckled, squirming out of Toni and Fangs' arms. I sent Sweet Pea a smile and sipped my coffee.

"Do I look like a lady to you, Kitty?" Fangs asked, tugging at the collar of his Serpent jacket. Toni and Sweet Pea mocked him, tugging their collars up and trying to look manly.

"Might as well be." I laughed, silently admiring their Serpent jackets. Despite begging and pleading to join the Serpents, my dad wouldn't let me run the gauntlet, and I refused to do the dance.

"When are you transferring to Southside, Kit?" Fangs asked, changing the subject.

"When my brother comes to his senses and realizes that his true family is in the Southside." I answered with a roll of my eyes.

"Isn't he here?" Sweet Pea asked.

"Yeah, he brought over some donuts and coffee. Wanted to catch up, I guess." I shrugged.

"Won't he hear you?" Toni asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, honey. He knows all about me wanting to go to school with you guys, but he just doesn't care. He's got his friends and his girlfriend on the Northside, I doubt he'll willingly transfer schools for me." I laughed sarcastically.

"Whatever, Kit. We know the Southside is where you belong." Sweet Pea grinned. I smiled back just as the door I was leaning on was pulled away from me. I grabbed onto Fangs before I fell backward, turning to glare at my brother.

"Ready for school, Katarina?" Jughead asked, raising an eyebrow at my friends.

"It's Kitty, Jughead." I snapped, releasing my death grip on Fangs' shoulder.

"See you later Kitty." Sweet Pea said, glaring at Jughead. Toni kissed my cheek and followed after the brooding giant.

"See you after school, Kit." Fangs smiled, kissing my forehead and chasing after our best friends.

"I love you idiots!" I shouted at them. They all turned around and flipped me off, Fangs tripping over a rock and falling onto Sweet Pea.

"Love you too!" Toni called, grabbing Fangs and shoving him toward Southside High.

"You have weird friends." Jughead commented. I took another sip from my coffee before tossing the cup into the trash. I pulled my motorcycle keys from my pocket and rolled my eyes.

"Whatever, let's just get to school."

--------

During our lunch break, Jughead forced me to sit with him and his friends. Something about wanting me to make 'actual, good friends' and wanting me to stop hanging out with Toni, Fangs, and Sweet Pea. I scoffed when he said that but let him pull me to his table. It beat sitting alone.

"Sorry to interrupt," Cheryl's voice sounded. I rolled my eyes but turned to look at her. "But I have an announcement to make. One that tangentially involves you, Betty. I'm bringing Polly to the dance as my date, and we're campaigning as co-queens of Homecoming court."

"Because why?" Betty asked, completely unamused.

"Because, nightmare Smurfette, by all rights, it should have been Jason and Polly on that stage being crowned. This, is the next best thing. So! Don't forget to vote, and I'll see everyone at my coronation." Cheryl smiled, turning to walk away. She suddenly turned and set her glare on me. "Except you, snake princess. Go back to your Southside trash and keep away from Homecoming."

"I wasn't planning on going to Homecoming, Cherry. But now that I know you don't want me to go, maybe I'll show up." I smirked, grabbing my unopened water bottle and sliding my lunch over to Jughead. I gently pat Cheryl's cheek and smiled sarcastically.

"See you then, princess. Until then, I'll be back in my Southside trash." And with that, I grabbed my bag and walked home, shooting a text to Fangs.

--------

"Picking a fight with Cheryl Blossom? Are you sure that's smart?" Fangs asked, sitting beside me at the bar of the Wyrm.

"She can handle herself, Fangs." Toni scoffed, sliding me my soda.

"Damn straight I can handle myself. Besides, that red headed she-devil started this one." I snapped.

"Are you seriously going to that dance though? You hate dressing up." Fangs pointed out.

"Yeah, I'm going to go. Betty and Alice invited Jughead, my dad, and I over for dinner before Homecoming, and dad told me if I wanted to go and get free food I'd have to go to the dance." I said, rolling my eyes.

"You never turn down free food." Sweet Pea laughed.

"It's the only way he could convince me to step foot in that house. Otherwise, I'd be here with you guys, playing pool or something." I shrugged.

"What're you going to wear?" Toni asked, leaning across the bar. I groaned, laying my forehead on the bar.

"No, Topaz. Don't girl out on me." I whined.

"Come on, Kitty. Let me dress you for the dance. I never get to dress you anymore." She pouted. I looked away from her pleading eyes and shook my head.

"I got grounded the last time you dressed me. Dad said that, and I quote, 'no respectable teenage girl would be caught dead in that.' And then he wrapped me up in his jacket and made me walk home." I recounted, sending Toni a playful glare.

"That's because I was dressing you to go out, not for a school dance." Toni rolled her eyes. I drank some of my soda and shook my head.

"I'll think about it. I have to look nice enough to avoid Alice Cooper's judgement, but you all know how hard that's going to be." I said, hopping off my bar stool.

"Let's play some pool." I smiled, grabbing Sweet Pea and Fangs, leaving Toni to tend the bar.