48

Chapter 48 || Safe Haven

The next morning, I was nursing a massive hangover. I took a shower, careful to avoid irritating the stitches in my stomach. I got dressed and sought out some advil and a water bottle. I took the pills and drank the water, curling back up on the loveseat.

"Morning." Dad chirped. I groaned and flipped him off.

"Hangover, or heartbreak?" Dad asked, tossing a blanket over me.

"Both." I whined. "I never want to move again."

"Sleep it off, babygirl. I put rocky road in the freezer for you." Dad laughed, kissing my temple. I nodded and went back to sleep. I was sleeping on and off all day up until Archie Andrews showed up.

"Hey, Kitty." He greeted from beside Jughead. I mustered up a wave and an unconvincing smile. "Are you okay?"

"I was hungover, and I'm heartbroken." I answered, wrapping the blanket around my shoulders and sitting beside him at the kitchen table. "So, I'm pretty good."

"What happened?" Archie asked. Jughead shook his head at Archie, but I answered anyway.

"Apparently I make Sweet Pea irrational." I spat bitterly. "He doesn't want me to dictate how he behaves anymore."

"But you didn't." Archie stated, obviously confused.

"Yeah, whatever." I grumbled. "Be a dear and get me my rocky road out of the freezer and a spoon from the drawer."

Archie nodded and moved to get my ice cream. As he did so, he explained what had happened at the Sheriff's station.

"Of course it's Tall Boy." I huffed, sticking a spoonful of my ice cream in my mouth.

"I'm such an idiot." Jughead breathed.

"You think what Minetta said is true?" Archie asked. "That Tall Boy was the second Black Hood?"

"He's done Hiram's dirty work before." Jughead nodded. "He confessed to it, which, now that I think about it, explains why he died suddenly in a firefight."

"There's no loose ends." I commented.

"He can't implicate Hiram, ever." Jughead finished.

"And now Sheriff Minetta can say the case of the copycat Black Hood is closed." Archie added.

"Hiram is gonna get away with it." Jughead sighed. "He's gonna get away with all of it."

"You two need ice cream. Grab some from the freezer." I offered, scooping some more rocky road into my mouth. Jughead fixed Archie and himself bowls, calling me uncivilized for eating my ice cream straight out of the tub. "I just got dumped, leave me alone."

"And on top of everything else," Jughead spoke, dumping some sprinkles onto his ice cream. "My dad, who's drinking again, wants us to move to Toledo. Just in time, too. 'Cause Weatherbee wants to kick all the Southsiders out of Riverdale High."

Before Archie could respond, Cheryl burst through the door. She looked at Jughead, Archie, and then me, her narrowed eyes widening.

"Hey, Cherry." I smiled unconvincingly, sticking another spoonful of ice cream in my mouth.

"Cheryl?" Jughead asked.

"Zip it and listen." She demanded, looking away from me. "We have to get the the Whyte Wyrm ASAP. I've already called Toni to give her the heads-up."

"What's going on?" Archie asked as I stood by his side.

"My mumsy warned me that Hiram Lodge's cyborg Sheriff is raiding your precious bar tonight." Cheryl stated. "And if things turn violent, and some Serpents end up shot, well, so much the better. Let's go."

I slipped on my boots and my Serpent jacket and followed after Cheryl and the boys. I fell into step beside Archie and sent him half a smile as we walked. He told me that he would open his doors to the Serpents, and I gave him a genuine smile. When we got to the Wyrm, I stuck close to Jughead and looked around at the Serpents.

"Take only what you absolutely need." I started, avoiding Sweet Pea's gaze. "And what you can carry with you."

"We need to move quickly and quietly." Jughead stated. "Sheriff Minetta's forces are all over the Southside and they're looking for our blood."

"If we want our skulls to remain uncracked," I said. "We have to go undetected."

"Go where?" Sweet Pea questioned. "There's nowhere safe."

"We've been offered asylum on the Northside." I answered, glaring down at Sweet Pea. He looked away as the other Serpents moved to pack their things. I gravitated toward Archie, leading him and the Serpents out of the bar and into the streets of the Southside.

Jughead and Sweet Pea joined us in front of the other Serpents, and the four of us lead the Serpents down alleyways and backroads, sneaking around to avoid detection from Sheriff Minetta's patrols.When we finally made it to the bridge separating the Northside from the Southside, I fell behind the group and looked back at my home. It was empty, and still wet from the recent rain. I jumped as Archie placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Come on, Kitty." He urged. "Don't look back."

I sighed and nodded, turning to face the group of lost looking Serpents. I brushed past Sweet Pea and took my spot at the front of the group. Archie joined me and together we lead the Serpents over the bridge and into his home.

"Kitty!" Fred Andrews greeted me with a warm smile and a hug. "Glad to see you moving around."

"Feels good to be able to move, Mr. Andrews." I smiled.

"You and Toni can share the spare bedroom." He offered with a smile.

"Thank you, Mr. Andrews." I nodded graciously. "And the rest of my friends?"

"Anywhere is fine, Kitty." He laughed.

"You heard the man." I barked, turning to face the uncomfortable Serpents. "Find somewhere to sleep and get to bed. Be respectful, please. Mr. Andrews is like a father to me."

The Serpents fanned out, rolling out sleeping bags and unfolding blankets all over the house and even in the backyard. I made sure everyone was situated before I took Toni up to the spare bedroom. Once she was settled I did another sweep of the house. Most of the Serpents were asleep, and some were whispering to each other. I smiled at everyone that was awake, except Sweet Pea. I didn't even focus on him as I checked on Fangs.

"You good?" I asked.

"Yeah." He nodded, smiling softly at me. "Are you?"

"Not at all." I shrugged. "But I have to be for all of you."

"I'm sorry, Kitty." He sighed.

"It's not your fault." I shook my head. "It's nobody's fault but my own."

"No-"

"Get some rest, Fangs." I cut him off, heading for the stairs.