chapter 6

When I got up on Tuesday the 20th all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. I don't have any classes on Tuesdays, but I do have work, so no sleeping in, unfortunately. I'm pre-med, so my high school guidance counselor had the brilliant idea to do an internship at the hospital nearby. The thing about internships is that they suck. You work really hard and don't get paid. Not at this one, at least. But me being the pushover I am, let her sign me up for one. Yay.

I put on a simple outfit; a white shirt with jeans. No rips, of course. I completely this "trendy" look with a white lab coat. So chic! I was lacing up my white Keds when Julia opened my door.

"Hey, how about knocking next time?" I didn't look up from my shoes. I was being a little rude, but I just hate Tuesdays at the hospital.

"Jeez, why are you so grumpy? Aren't you going for drinks tonight?" I looked up at her. Her arms were crossed and I immediately felt bad.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't take out all my stress on you. And I think the drinks are just making me more anxious." I stood up and she gave me a hug. It was happily returned.

"Don't be. He invited you, so all you have to do is look hot." Julia had been extremely interested in my love life recently. I felt bad that it was all about me. "But right now, you have to get to work. Sorry." She smirked and waved goodbye before heading back to the living room. She was right. I wasn't late, but I would be if I kept up all this worrying.

It was still pretty hot outside for late summer, but I didn't mind. This type of weather practically winter in Orlando. I didn't bring my car when I moved but the good thing about a big campus: you can bike everywhere safely. I'm big on safety because Toronto is almost as big as Chicago and the more people, the more potential dangers.

With my earbuds in, the fifteen minute ride felt like five and in no time, I was working my shift. It was all the typical things you see in a city hospital. I only helped deal with little things like bike accidents, mild burns, and anything else that the real doctors needed help with. 

The day went by pretty fast and soon enough, it was five. Drinks were at eight so I had a couple hours to get ready. I rushed home and went straight to my closet. I'd been thinking about my outfit for a week, but now my mind was blank.

"JULIA" She ran in with a worried look.

"What's wrong? Are you ok?" She looked my up and down, inspecting to see if there was anything wrong. "Oh gosh, is that what you're wearing to drinks?" She already forgot about any sort of emergency and was focused only on my outfit.

"No, this is what I wore to work, but I don't know what to wear tonight. HELP ME!" She walked over and didn't speak until she'd pulled every piece of clothing out of my closet and looked at the closely. "Julia this will take forever to put away-"

"Hush!" She put her finger over her mouth and I stopped talking. She was the expert in this area. After a minute or so of pairing things and repairing them, she handed me a puff sleeve purple crop top and a black pencil skirt. "Here. Trust me." I took them skeptically and changed in the bathroom. I looked pretty cute.I decided to put on my makeup while I was in there. It was more than I usually wear, but I thought it looked nice.

When I came out, I was greeted by a catcall and a tall man who was definitely not Julia. My first reaction was to cover my stomach, which was exposed by the crop top. I felt my face getting red.

"Um, hi there... I'm sorry, who are you?" I was very uncomfortable with this random guy in my bedroom. No guys come in my bedroom. Ever. A familiar face popped in through the open doorway. My face got even redder. Shawn.