V - Victory Of The Vile

The dark room seemed to reflect how I was thinking at the moment – darkly. I stared at the ceiling, trying to figure out how many days I had.

It had been two weeks since Jimin got through the elimination round and was now one of the Top 30 candidates for the finals.

I counted; today was 24th May, which means, a week at the least. My eyes went to the window, which was to my left. Jimin was fast asleep to my left as well, and was currently facing me, showing his back to the window.

The moonlight that streamed in felt to be telling me that it was time. I had already stretched this far too long; I had to tell Jimin.

I had kept him in the dark for so long, that I was sure that he would react badly at this point. To be honest, I should have told him when I adopted him.

But we barely had communication then, so how was I to tell him about my inevitable death?

Death. It used to feel so normal at first, but now, I was truly feeling the fear that carried with the word. I would never see these seven boys who loved me so much.

I would never be able to feed them my signature dish, never be able to sleep over at their houses, play with them, have ice-cream and late-night movie sessions when one of them breaks up or gets rejected (which was mainly Hoseok, who didn't realise Yoongi's jealous stares, of course).

I would miss them. I would miss this loving family that gave me so many good memories to take along with me as I died.

So many memories.

•♠•

"Jimin, we n- need to talk," I tried taking deep breaths as I called out to him. Jimin ignored me as he finished the last one minute of his dance. As the music stopped, he stood up, grabbed a towel to wipe off his sweat and came towards me, who was waiting for him patiently.

"Yeah?" His eyebrows were furrowed as he wiped his face. "I'll take a break so that we can talk. What's the time?"

"It's 7:00pm," I said off-handedly. I walked out of the practice room that Hoseok had given to Jimin in his house.

We were in Hoseok's house, which was where Jimin practised 24/7 (unless I was there to force him back home, that is) and currently, Hoseok was making dinner for the four of us.

Yoongi raised an eyebrow as I walked to the couch in the living room that he was sitting on. I put on a pleading face that told him to leave. He understood, nodded and left but not before giving a long stare at Jimin who was following behind me like a confused puppy. Which he was.

I swallowed thickly as we both sat down. I saw Yoongi enter the kitchen and close the door behind him and I turned to face Jimin.

"What is it?" Jimin asked, with a gentle smile on his face, trying to calm me down by holding my hands. "I can feel that you're nervous and scared. Is something wrong?"

"Jimin, do you trust me?" I asked him, ignoring his question. Jimin looked even more confused.

"Of course I do," he said without hesitation. "But what does that have to do with anything?"

"Jimin, I- I haven't been completely honest with you," I said shakingly. His gentle grip on my hand loosened as his ears perked up. "I- I haven't told you one thing about me; and it is the biggest factor when it comes to my life."

"What?" Jimin urged, all smiles gone as he stared at me intensely. 

"Jimin, do you know about a disease called Painless Death?" I asked, almost shaking.

"No, not really," Jimin looked at me expectantly. "What about it?"

"You see, nobody knows why it happens or how," I tried to explain. "It doesn't have a cure or many symptoms; just one, and that's when people are going to die in a few months. Because of research till now, we have been able to find out if a person is affected around nearly 2-3 years before the inevitable death."

"O-kay," Jimin said slowly. "What does this have to do with you?"

"Jimin, do you remember I adopted you nearly a year ago?" I asked. He nodded brightly.

"Yeah, on June 8," he said. "I really want to win this competition as a present and celebration for that-"

"I was announced to die in a year on June 7," I said, as I felt knives stab me upon seeing the horror on Jimin's face. "I came to know that I had the disease on June 6, and then my test results that decide how much time I have came on 7th."

"Th- This is why," Jimin stood up, anger and frustration evident in his eyes. I felt really scared because he looked really angry. "I could smell something different about you from the past few months; I couldn't figure out what it was."

"Jimin, I wanted to tell you," I said, standing up as well, trying not to cry. Why was I feeling like crying so often? He shook his head as he took a step back.

"No, no, you never trusted me," he spit out. "I always loved and trusted you, but you never felt that. You lied about your love, didn't you? How could you? I loved you."

Before I could stop him, he ran out of the house and I tried to follow him out but when I reached the door, he was already quite far away.

Purple and black started taking over my vision and before I knew it, I fainted.

•♠•

"-call Jin-hyung, I'm taking her to the hospital!"

"What about Jimin?"

"-still hasn't woken up. It's been 5 days."

"-fuses to leaves her side, keeps saying it's all his fault. Yoongi and he got into a fight too-"

"-Wake up already."

•♣•

Word: 1018

Updated/Published On:
31st January 2020
31/01/2020