Chapter 26

"How are you?" Piper asked as we had a momentary lull in orders. I smiled and wiped my forehead with my sleeve as I tightened my ponytail and nodded.

"I'm enjoying it already, but is it always so hot back here?" Piper just laughed lightly at me.

"It is the kitchen, Lila. What did you expect?" I just shrugged at her reply and we smiled at each other but Piper's smile soon fell off her face and she watched me carefully.

"You know that isn't what I meant though, sweetie" she stated and I sighed before leaning against the work surface behind me. I'd just finished cleaning my work area after preparing a shrimp cocktail when Piper walked up to check on me.

"I'm struggling, but what can I do? I don't want to worry Chris and Wyatt and while the bond is out of action, they can't actually feel my worry and call my bluff. I'm just pretending that I'm okay to keep them sane." Piper smiled and brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"And who will keep you sane?" I smiled and shrugged at her which made her sigh and pull me against her to hug me tightly. Today she smelled like flour and dough. I always liked that smell on Piper mostly because I didn't think smelling of spices suited her because she was quite logical and calm, not as kooky as her sisters.

"I'm always here for you Lila-Rose. You don't have to do everything on your own, despite what you think." I nodded as we pulled away from each other.

"Thank you, Piper. I'm sorry to worry you all of the time." She just rolled her eyes at me as the doors to the kitchen opened again and in walked Nina, holding a bunch of orders.

It was at that point that Declan popped up again, not that he had actually been bothered to do any work for the last few hours but I believed he liked to annoy me.

"Okay, you already know how to do those perfectly, Lila" he rambled as Nina mentioned that we needed two shrimp cocktails so I got started on those.

"You already know how to do those" he stated as we had two orders for shrimp pizzas with fries.

"I'll show you how to do that" he stated as we were told that we had three orders for the shrimp risotto. I nodded at him, turning my attention to the pizzas as I sprinkled the toppings on and placed both of them in the pizza oven to cook while also keeping an eye on the shrimp cocktails as I cooked some of the ingredients for that, making sure to throw in some herbs and spices while I cooked the shrimp to give it that extra flavour.

I then quickly turned to the potatoes, cutting them up to make handmade fries, though I hadn't gotten it quite right with the size yet. The fries always turned out larger than normal fries but too thin for chunky ones. No one had complained yet but I made sure to focus on what my hands were doing.

It was now Saturday and after explaining everything to Aunt Phoebe, Aunt Paige and Billie, everyone had stayed for a little while longer before Chris encouraged everyone to go home. I hadn't stopped yawning after explaining my heritage and so everyone had agreed, believing that I needed to rest after the events of the day. Amy had crawled into bed with me, something that she hadn't done since we were children and held my hand as I fell asleep. Knowing that she was there had been comforting, especially because I hadn't been able to reach through the bond to feel Chris and Wyatt falling asleep something I always did whenever I wasn't tired enough to sleep.

I had woken up this morning to find that Amy was still sharing my bed with me but I had hogged the covers at some point in the night and so she'd removed the one from her camp bed and had wrapped herself up in that. It was getting chilly during the night now as the days became shorter and the nights became longer. I did prefer this time of the year though because I found Fall to be comforting. The colder nights meant that we stayed in the Manor more as a family which always made me feel better. My mom and I had done the same when I was younger and we would wrap ourselves in blankets and watch movies with hot chocolate.