Chapter 1

(Nolan's POV)

Michael: Don't eat that.

"But-"

Michael: You're on a diet. Remember?

"Yeah."
I nodded and gazed dreamily at the pizza slice he ate from the box. My stomach rumbled aggressively the moment I inhaled the warm scent of food.

I made my way over to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. I drank a big gulp wishing it was the delicious mixture of cheese, tomato sauce and pepperoni.

"Michael?"

Michael: Yeah?

"Are you sure I can't just have one piece? It's been a while since I've eaten anything and-"

Michael: We've been over this. The answer is no. If you didn't gain weight so fast, maybe you'd get a piece or two.

He kissed my forehead while grabbing my head a bit too harshly. His voice was monotone. It made the hairs on my arms stand up.

Michael: I'm just looking out for you because I love you, okay?

I looked down at the floor. He wasn't wrong. My body was the type to have trouble losing weight. My stomach rumbled once again. I inhaled deeply and went to my room. At least there I wouldn't smell the delicious, mouthwatering food.

I stared at the ceiling and wondered if there was some other place I could go to. Somewhere far. Somewhere I could have a bit more freedom.

I sat up and remembered a certain blond named Lou. I wondered how he was doing. And I pondered if he would let me stay with him. Even for a day. I thought about how everyone always said that Lou didn't have a kind bone in his body.

Nevertheless, I didn't want to be there anymore.

I checked the hallway for any sign of Michael. When the coast was clear, I decided I would try leaving later that day.

I packed a bag of random things. Clothes, a brush, my only stuffed animal, a rabbit. The last thing I wanted was to be caught.

Suddenly, the door swung open.
The blue haired doll held a plate with pizza on it.

Michael: Hey, I wanted to apologize about what I said. I brought you some pizza and-
What are you doing?

I completely froze. He analyzed the bag on the bed from a distance and waited for me to say something other than "I'm leaving.".

I hated how unpredictable he was. I wanted to skip that part. I wished the ground would eat me up already. How he would react would all rely on the answer I gave.

"Well... I was- Um. I thought maybe I'd go camping...? So I just collected a few things..."

The intensity of his stare even managed to silence my hungry stomach. One wrong move and it would be hell.

"I wasn't planning to go right now. I was just seeing what things I would bring... If I did... Go camping."

He glared at me some more, deciding if I was lying or not.

I stepped towards him and gave him a hug, followed by a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you."

My heart was beating so hard I'm pretty sure he could feel it. I could only hope he would believe me.

The blue haired doll placed the plate on a nearby dresser and hugged me back. He picked me up and layed me down on the bed.
My breath hitched, as I watched him straddle my hips and pin my wrists down. He leaned closer and whispered to me.

Michael: I love it when you say that.

He kissed me and caressed my torso under the fabric. I sighed in relief. It could've gone so much worse.

~~~

After he had fallen asleep, I made my move. I packed the last of my things quietly and left. I didn't really know where I was going. I just knew it was in direction of the pipes.

Originally, uglyville and the institute were supposed to fuse and become one town. However, there were never enough dolls to help with the buildings or construction. They were all too busy in the big world, so it never got done.

I looked up at the stars and began to feel hopeful. A shooting star caught my eye and I began to wish.

"I wish my life would be different. Just a little bit.. And maybe a kid would be nice."

I trudged through the dark tunnels and alleyways until I made it. Nothing had changed much. Everything looked exactly the same as we left it. The biggest house was Lou's. I knew that from memory.

I knocked three times and waited.
There were no lights on so I wondered if he was even there anymore.
After a long moment, the door opened slowly.

A voice asked me what I wanted. I recognized his voice, but I couldn't quite make out more than his silhouette, so I just stood there awkwardly. What was I supposed to say? "Hey, I know you hate me but I was wondering if I could stay with you for a bit and annoy you with all my problems"? I don't think so.

Lou: No. Go away.

The door shut. My jaw dropped. Had I said it out loud? I couldn't be sure.
I knocked again.

It opened.

Lou: What? If you're here to gawk and throw eggs at my house, someone already did that this morning. Now, leave me alone.

He closed the door. Again.

I stepped back to look at the house. It was so dark, I couldn't even see if there was anything.
I knocked on his door. Again.

That time, he didn't answer.
I sighed.

"Lou... I'm not here to make fun of you or anything. Sometimes I wonder about you and I thought maybe I should come check how you're doing."

The door opened. This time, I could see his eyes glimmer in the moonlight. They were such a pretty blue. Like an ocean or a clear sky. I could've looked at them forever.

Lou: You came to check on me?

I nodded. He didn't seem to believe me.
"I brought some snacks for you if you like. I even brought pizza."

He opened the door slowly and looked at me up and down. His blonde hair swayed along with the motion of his head. He raised a brow and scanned me with his eyes for anything suspicious.

Lou: Come in..

He kept staring at me like he was expecting me to pull out a gun and shoot him. Instead, I pulled out a paper plate with a piece of pizza. Which, believe me, is way better than a gun.

He ate it quietly on the couch while my eyes observed all they could about the house and the doll that resided in it.

His skin was paler than I remembered. Maybe he hadn't eaten in a while.

"So, how have you been? It's been a while, hasn't it?"

Lou inspected the pizza a bit more before taking a bite.

Lou: How do you think I've been?

His sass made me want to leave. But I didn't want to go so soon. Not back to that place. With that person.

"..Your hair is messy. I could brush it if you like. Can I?"
I asked him while pulling a brush out of my bag.

"You'd do that?" Lou asked as he looked into my green and purple eyes. I nodded. I stood behind him while he finished eating and began to run my fingers through his hair. I had a feeling we were gonna be around each other for a long time.