dix-huit

I've never really cared about others.

Is it their criticism or their hurt when I used the wrong words again, I just never found it in myself to give a proper fuck.

That's partly the reason why I found my friendship with Tae so disturbing. You may or may not have noticed that I had always defended him from day one, doing my best to protect him from the assholes we call our classmates.

I wasn't exactly familiar with the feeling of caring about another person so hard.

And this moment, when I ran through the empty school corridors, my steps echoing through the halls, frantically searching for my best friend, I remembered why I had stopped to care about others.

It hurt so damn much, knowing that Tae probably wasn't safe and that I couldn't do anything against it.

I stumbled out of the building and let my gaze drift over the schoolyard, not really slowing down before turning around the corner.

I think I never ran more in my entire life hahaha.

So, our school had extended on one side, to make space for the new biology and physic rooms (a process that brought way too much free days for us students with it). When you walk up to that side of the school you'll stand in a corner that results from two buildings (the school building and the new rooms) being morphed together, the wall forming something like a L-form.

I'm explaining this so detailed because that's where Taehyung was pressed against the wall, being held down by two (of course black dressed) guys I've never seen before, three others standing in front of him - one of them being my absolute favorite homophobic Jaemin and the other the guy whom I had seen in front of the school entrance earlier.

And they were beating him. Okay Jaemin was standing on the side watching the scene a bit upset, but the two others who weren't busy with holding the struggling Taehyung down and keeping him from screaming were beating him up on a way that scared me.

Taehyung's lips were bruised and he had multiple cuts on his cheeks, his eyes tearing up as one of the guys landed a punch I his gut.

And I? My useless ass was standing there frozen, not being able to move and feeling the overwhelming need of running back.

But again, seeing Taehyung like this, defenseless and hurt sparked something in me that you could only describe as anger. I couldn't wait for Chris but neither could I just stand there and watch.

So I did the dumbest thing one could do in this situation and made a step forwards, "Stop!"

And -wow- they surprisingly did, probably because they didn't expect a girl like me to take action.

The problem was, now they were staring at me and I felt a bit like a sheep that was stared down by a hungry pack of wolves. But at least they stopped with beating the crap out of Taehyung. And that's a progress, isn't it?

"Y/N?"

That came from Jaemin.

The stranger whom I had seen talking with Jaemin earlier smirked a disgusting smirk, "Oh look who we have here. Does the little girl want to safe her queer little friend?"

I was about to say that he couldn't call Tae 'little' because they were about the same size but decided to just keep my mouth shut instead, because this wasn't exactly the right moment.

The stranger took a step forward and placed his hand on my shoulder. I fought back the urge of going backwards, not wanting to give him the impression a scared prey.

"So what?"

He laughed, "You're quite the dumb one aren't you?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to hide how frightened I was while all I could think of was how Chris wouldn't turn up.

"You think I would just watch you beating up my friend?"

The guy blinked, "Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking."

He pushed his hand that rested on my shoulder forwards, making me stumble back.

"And now fuck off, or do you want to end up like your friend?"

I pressed my lips together, "If I have t-"

"Stop with the bullshit dude."

Wow, I've never been more relieved to hear this Australian accent.

The eyes of the guy who had just threatened me widened and his gaze shifted to someone behind me.

"Ch-Chris?"

"Y-Yes?" The blonde mimicked his stuttering mockingly.

"W-Why are you here?"

"Because I missed my old school so much- no, of course to beat your fuckers asses if you don't back the fuck off you dumbass."

Still-nameless-dude let go of me, who had been watching the scene with wide eyes, and so did his thug-pals, leaving without any more words or protest.

I didn't move, being stunned by the ridiculous unreal-ness of my current situation.

I turned my head to Chris who had a kind of satisfied expression, "Are you like, the prince of the gangsters?"

He laughed, "More like the king of the gays."

"Oh, so you are-"

"Yeah but that's beside the point, go help your friend, he can't even stand straight fo fucks sake."

I let out a small screech as I remembered Taehyung's state and rushed over to him, trying to help him up. I soon realized that all my efforts were worthless and just slid down besides him, wrapping my arms around his shaking figure.

Chris cocked his head to the side, a small smile on his lips, before turning around and leaving us alone.

"Shh It's okay." I mumbled while stroking his hair. He had his face buried in my neck, not saying anything. They only sound was his unsteady breathing, slowly calming down.

Tae secured his arms tighter around my torso, before bringing his lips next to my ear and saying with a shaky voice:

"I love you."

___

I feel like this whole Chris-Storyline doesn't fit in well but it's kinda important later on

xx