IN THE BEGINNING

IN THE BEGINNING

I was formed at the dawn of creation. I was there when darkness turned into light, the seas parted, and the first tree grew. The Father Tree, the god oak, I was part of him.

It was so long ago that I cannot recall if I was the god oak, or the seed. I remember shooting up and out toward the heavens, and then dangling like a tear on an eyelash. Waiting. I’m not sure for what.

I was so wrapped up in the quandary that it was some time before I noticed someone, cloaked in white with grand, transparent wings, wielding a sword licked by flame. Being part of a tree, one would think I should be frightened by fire, but I wasn’t. I was curious.

Hello, I said.

The face that peered over the wings was angular, with eyes as beautiful as the stars. His hair shared the complexion of the moon. His gaze returned forward.

It was unfortunate he did not say hello back. I felt a little lonely hanging around by myself. So I tried again the following night.

Hello, I said.

I received a similar response as the evening before. Not cold, but still wordless. Undeterred, I tried again the next night.

Hello! I said, louder this time. Can you hear me?

He didn’t look back. “Yes, I can hear you. We should not speak to one another.”

We should not… what? But why?

I would break one of the laws of the world if I told you.

I was surprised when I heard his voice without speaking. Who are you? How did you do that?

His shoulders raised and lowered with a long breath. I am Abaven, Captain of Queen Uonaidh’s Guard. I have been stationed here to protect the Father Tree, The Tree of Life. I am of the Fae.

But why do I need protecting? I am immovable. What harm can I do? I saw a smirk curl the corner of his mouth, and wondered why. Am I dangerous? I could not deny the panic I felt.

I find it interesting you do not realize what you are.

Am I the tree, or the seed?

His silver eyebrow raised. You really do not know what you are?

I only know one truth: I wish to grow.

That is why I stand guard. I cannot allow you to grow.

I trembled. So I’m dangerous, then.

I shrank when he said nothing. I didn’t speak to him for a very long time. How could I be dangerous? I was only a seed… or was I the tree? What could I possibly do that was dangerous?

Abaven?

He glanced to me from the corners of his eyes.

What makes me dangerous?

He remained silent, as though contemplating how to tell me.

Am I evil? I asked. The very thought that I could be, rend my core.

You are the most powerful force on earth. He turned. His face tilted up. You are beautiful and wonderful… but in the wrong hands, you could destroy the world. He laid a hand on my trunk. It was warm and gentle, despite being strong enough to wield a flaming sword. I shivered. That is why you must be protected. It is for your own good.

What happens if I escape? I cannot stay in this eden forever. I want to grow. Why are we the only ones here?

Abaven sighed. The last souls to wander here were cast out for similar desires. I am here to ensure no one finds this tree again. The results could shift the balance irrevocably.

Abaven, what is that behind you?

Abaven turned to see a great, hulking creature with horns and hollows where eyes should be. He was twisted in vines and rattled when he breathed. Abaven was on his guard at once.

“Turn away while you still can,” Abaven growled.

The creature bellowed and rushed toward the guardian. Abaven swung his sword, sending the creature back. The monster charged again, pummeling Abaven into my trunk. They grappled and threw eachother, then charged and crashed again. Over and over. I felt myself swinging as they raged on. Abaven fought valiantly, worthy of his station, but was knocked unconscious by the creature.

And then the world shook and I tumbled through the ether. When I looked up, I saw the god oak. I was alone. I was definitely the seed. Will someone please pick me up? I called. I don’t want to be alone. I need to get out. I need to grow.

Vine-tangled fingers wrapped around me.