The Field Trip Part 1

Hazel POV

When we got to our destination, the class shuffled off the bus. We were each given a packet to work on and I got paired up with another girl, Remy. She was nice enough, but a bit of a cheerleader. We finished the packet fairly quickly and started wandering aimlessly. When we got to the outside area, there were only three other groups with us. Lenny Brighton, Amy Lighthouse, and Spencer Lipen were messing around near the woods while Amy's partner, a quiet kid named Richard Weaver, sat reading a book about four feet away. I also saw Ashley with her partner Walsh. Ashley was hardcore flirting with Walsh. Everyone knew Walsh was dating Lizzy, but cheated on her frequently. I looked away.

"Aw, sweet, innocent Hazel." Remy cooed. I gave her a light, joking shove.

"It just makes me uncomfortable." I justified. She smiled cheekily. "I'd hate to be Walsh's girlfriend with Ash being so... determined about getting with him. Or any other girl for that matter." Remy muttered something about how Lizzy ought to just dump the guy already. "Remy." I chided, but secretly agreed. 

"Hey, Rem!" One of the super muscular football players came out and started toward us.

"Cory!" Remy exclaimed and jumped on him.

"Ms. Fresca, Mr. Grands, no PDA on the field trip or I'll have to give you a detention." Mr. Davies called out.
"Sorry, Mr. Davies!" Remy called as she pulled herself off. I wasn't a huge fan of Mr. Davies. He was a bit of an arse. He was probably the strictest teacher in the school. He was always mean to me, but defensively, like he felt threatened by me. I understood though. Being a child of the underworld, my magical aura is slightly off-putting to some. About half the class acted like they felt it- which was strange since it usually only affected about a quarter of everybody- demigods and mortals alike. It probably didn't help that I'd previously been dead. I shivered as a cold wind swept through the area. I only started panicking when the doors closed. I felt my blood run cold as I heard a growl come from the woods behind me. Just perfect.

Mr. Davies suddenly seemed panicked. He gathered us all together quickly and pushed us against the door. I saw him look at Ashley, Richard, and Lenny multiple times. We watched in horror as two hellhounds came out of the woods. And they were not like Percy's pet. They stared at us and growled. I sifted through the crowd until I was at the front. I pulled my dagger from the sheath in my jacket and held it nimbly in my hand. I wasn't as good with a dagger as I was with my spear, but I was decent- and it was all I had. My father had confiscated my spatha and given me a knife 'befitting of the royalty you are'. I scanned the situation. It only took a second for me to recognize a small ornamental dagger in my teacher's hand. I scoffed, knowing that kind of knife wasn't very good for fighting, but was rather for watching one's reflection. I focused my mind on putting up a mist for the mortals as I stepped in between my class and the hounds. 

Ethan Davies POV–

I was slightly panicked when hellhounds came out of the woods. Sure, I'd fought a couple of monsters in my life time, but never hellhounds. I'd only fought some lower level monsters. The strongest monsters didn't even bother to come after me or Violet. I thought about Violet. Neither of us have fought a monster in three years. I hadn't fought more than three since I'd left camp when I was seventeen. Almost twenty years ago. They just didn't come after Violet or I, so they had to be coming for someone else. I had a feeling three of my kids were like me, so I'd watched them closely. It didn't seem like any of them have found out yet. I shot them multiple looks to make sure I knew where they were. I knew I had to act quickly though and I pulled my dagger from my bag. It was about four inches long, half an inch in width, and made of opal and bronze. It was polished so much it had a clear reflection. I'd received it from my mother just before my sixteenth birthday. I had only used it in combat four times before. I heard someone scoff from behind me, and I watched in horror as one of the quietest students, Hazel Rivers, emerged from the crowd and went to stand in front of the monsters. I nearly fainted.

"Ms. Rivers?" I yelled, "You need to stay behind me." She was going to get herself killed. I only relaxed a little once I spotted something gleaming in her hand. It looked black, but had a golden handle covered in something else black. A dagger. It was twice the size of mine and Ms. Rivers held it like second nature. I'd never pegged her as a demigod, but the weird feeling I got when I saw her probably explained it. It had always felt like she wasn't exactly natural. Her brother had given me the same vibes when I'd met him. 

She took no time in destroying both monsters. When she turned around, she slipped her dagger back into my inner pocket. We were all shocked. Ashley Soe, Richard Weaver, and Lenny Brighton all looked slightly sickened by it. It confirmed my suspicion about them being half-bloods. I slowly put his arm down and Ashley took off toward Hazel.

Hazel POV

 I didn't know why Ashley had run to me until she was already applying pressure to a small gash in my arm. I hadn't even noticed it. She set me on a bench and quickly got to work, pulling my sleeve up my arm. Mr. Davies came over with his bag and started pulling bandages from a small baggie, handing them to the girl. I gratefully accepted the piece of ambrosia he offered me. I figured he was a demigod too, so I didn't see much of a risk. Ashley worked quickly, her hands flying like it was natural. When she finished, she leaned back on her heels and eyed my bandaged arm critically.

"Where'd you learn that?" Lenny asked quietly, coming up next to us. I focused on sending the mortals some mist-y instructions. Everyone but Richard started to the door. He just looked confused. 

"I didn't." Ashley said quietly. "I didn't even think. My hands knew what to do before I did."

"Did you guys see those things?" Lenny asked quietly. He was close to hysterics. Richard had come running over.

"Do you mean the huge ass dogs that looked more like demons than pets?" Ashley asked, her voice cracking.

"Hellhounds." Mr. Davies supplied eerily. He looked at me quizzically. "I knew Ms. Soe, Mr. Weaver, and Mr. Brighton probably were, but I never would have guessed you too, Ms. Rivers." I smile knowingly. He still seemed stiff around me, like he still had a bad feeling. 

"I didn't know there was anyone else here." I admitted.

"What was that knife you were holding?" Richard asked, slightly excited.

"A dagger my parents presented me. I call it 'Cocytus'." Mr. Davies shivered, but I smiled at the name. I had named my blade after one of the rivers in my father's kingdom. The one I had a view of from my bedroom window. 

"Your parents gave you a knife?" Lenny asked unbelieving.

"It isn't uncommon among demigods to carry a weapon given to them by someone. All knowing demigods carry weapons." Mr. Davies explained.

"Demigods?" Ashley asked skeptically. Mr. Davies's watch buzzed and he looked down at it intently while he answered. 

"Half mortal children of the Greek gods. Perhaps it would be better to finish this discussion later? Come to my classroom after school today." Mr. Davies told us. We all nodded. Ashley helped me to the bus.