Bus Ride

Richard POV

Our weird history teacher had decided at the beginning of the quarter that we should go on a field trip before break. I'm pretty sure Mr. Davies was nobody's favorite teacher because of this. Most kids like field trips, but any field trip Mr. Davies plans are never any fun. I was hopeful with this one at least. We were going to this national park about an hour and a half away from the school. I paused my music and started listening into the girls in front of me. Ashley Soe was sitting with that weird girl, Rivers. I can't remember her first name, but I was kinda too freaked out to ask. She just had this vibe that put me off. I could tell about half of the other kids could feel it too. Her appearance didn't help too much. She had these startling and entrancing gold eyes- they always looked slightly startled and sharp. She spoke in this somewhat mixed accent too, like she'd grown up Southern, but had spent the last five years with people from Cali or New York. She got flustered real easily too. Most people liked her however- even some of the kids who felt the same way I did, because she was apparently like- absurdly nice. I'd never really talked to her, so I couldn't say, but Paige Conway once said it was 'like she didn't have one mean bone in her body'. 

"What's wrong?" Ashley's concerned voice came from in front of me. 

"Nothing. I'm just anxious about traveling so far from home." 

"Probably doesn't help that you're not with your brother." Ashley murmured, but I heard her. Rivers must have too. "It's just that- well, whenever someone sees you, you two are usually together." Even I had noticed this. Rivers and her brother were almost inseparable. He was a year older, with tanned skin slightly lighter than Rivers's and very dark hair. 

"It's just- neither of us had much company growing up so we grew really close." Rivers said quietly. I saw Ashley nod understandingly. 

"I was thinking about you and your brother yesterday actually." Ashley started. "I don't mean to offend you, but-"

"You're wondering why I'm black and he's not?" Rivers flatlined. Ashley smiled at her dazzlingly. I hadn't realized that about Rivers and her brother. I guess I hadn't payed close enough attention or connected that bridge in my mind to question it. I supposed their skin tones were close enough that it simply didn't phase me as much. "We're half siblings, Ashley. My mother was black, his wasn't." Wait- they were half siblings? 

"Why haven't we ever seen your mom then? I've seen your dad and your- well, who I thought was your mom, but never anyone else." Rivers sucked in air like she'd been punched. Ashely went slightly wide eyed and quiet, like she knew she'd hit a nerve.

"My mother died when I was little." Rivers said stiffly. I suddenly felt bad for her. I knew how it felt. My mom had disappeared when I was a baby- just vanished without a trace. 

"I'm sorry for your loss." Ashley said quietly after a minute. Her eyes went trained on the ground for the next ten minutes. "I've never met my dad." she said quietly after a while. I looked at her shortly and looked back out the window. I didn't want them to know I was listening. I sympathized with Ashley, but she didn't need to know that. 

"Did he die when you were little?" Rivers asked, obviously trying to make polite conversation. She shook her head pitifully.

"I don't actually know what happened to him." She looked at Rivers steadily. Ashley suddenly looked back, and deep brown orbs met my own for a split second. I was caught off guard. I saw the same sadness I had. She broke away from my gaze a fraction of a second later and started acting happier again, turning back to Rivers. "I've got mom though, and Henry. That's my stepdad. A sister too, Casey." I smiled to myself. Rivers did too, but it faded quickly. She looked slightly saddened because of something. Ashley dropped her voice again. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I had an older sister, Bianca." Rivers said, wiping away a tear, but smiling anyways. I listened intently.

"Had?" Ashley's voice had broken.

"She died a few years back." Oh. I thought. I felt slightly bad for Rivers. And I didn't even know her name. 

"Oh." Ashley took her hand in an attempt to comfort her. "How old was she?"

"Twelve." She said quietly. Ashley paled. "She was two years older than Nico." I wondered how she had never met this other sister, but she was so close in age to us. 

"I'm sorry."

"Can we just drop this?" Rivers asked quietly. I think she realized I'd been listening. Ashley nodded. I spent the rest of the bus ride watching Ashley talk to a few other girls in our class. Rivers stayed silent the rest of the ride.