23: Maybe Perfect

Start from the beginning

I looked across the table to the younger Ryder’s and saw that Cameron was staring at my dinner plate with wide eyes.

“Cameron!” Mrs. Ryder screeched, “Watch your language!”

Cameron blushed slightly after being scolded by his mother while Josh and Jett looked like they were trying to contain their laughter.

“Sorry.” Cameron muttered to his mother before looking back at me. “Do you actually eat that much on a regular basis?” he asked with his eyes slightly wide.

I turned to Jett quickly only to see that he was facing me with a small smirk on his face. I felt a smirk of my own grow on my face and turned back to Cameron. “Yes…. do you have a problem with it?” I asked teasingly, raising an eyebrow.

Cameron looked at me and scowled slightly. “No, it’s just… well you eat so much but you’re not that fat at all.” he answered, quite bluntly I thought.

I raised my eyebrow again tried the best to make my facial expression look serious. “Are you saying I’m a little fat?” I asked.

Cameron’s eyes bulged as he shook his head from side to side. “No, no, no… I was just, umm…” he said, trying to come up with an explanation, but before he could finish both Jett and I burst out in laughter.

Once I was done laughing at Cameron I looked at him with a smile. “Don’t worry about it, I knew what you meant and I was only joking around.” I said.

Cameron looked at me with a slight scowl as he started to eat his dinner. “That was a nice joke.” he stated in a monotone voice, clearly showing that he wasn’t that impressed being tricked by his older brother’s friend.

I tried to hide a smirk that was threatening to break free onto my face and I successfully did so as Jett spoke to his younger brother. “Well, I personally thought it was pretty funny.” he said, leaning over to nudge my shoulder slightly.

I turned to him and smiled before looking down at my plate, which for a couple of minutes I forgot was holding my favourite meal in the world.

“Okay kids, why don’t we quit teasing each other and start eating.” Mr. Ryder said, gesturing to Cameron, Jett and I.

Nobody had to tell me twice as I quickly grabbed the fork that was placed to the right of my plate and dug in. As soon as the flavour of the penne alfredo touched exploded on my taste buds I was in heaven. I even had to hold in a moan at the flavour of this food. I don’t know what Mrs. Ryder had put into this meal but it was simply delicious.