Escape

Hurrying back into the room, Slade grabbed a spare blanket from the cupboard and brought it over to Dick.

'I need you to get him to the League.' Slade said, glancing over at Joey.

But won't they arrest me? – He signed. I'm not you, but I'm not very innocent.

Slade shook his head. 'Wayne gave his word that you would be able to walk away.'

You're not coming?

'I'm going to make sure Bane is nowhere near the drop-off.' He began moving Dick into a sitting position, but the young boy started to stir.

'Dick? Can you hear me?'

Bright blue eyes opened sluggishly, he looked up at Slade and frowned.

'You...drugged me.' He mumbled.

'I know. I'm sorry, but I always said I would if I didn't think I could restrain you. Do you remember me saying that?' Slade said gently.

Dick stared at nothing for a while, deep in concentration. Then his face relaxed and he nodded.

'Do you remember what happened?'

Again, the look of concentration came on his face, then he shook his head.

'We're going to take you to the Justice League, Dick.' Slade said slowly, making sure the kid understood. 'They will take you home.'

'When?'

'Now. I'll carry you to the car and Joey is going to take you.'

'Why?' Even half-conscious the boy wasn't stupid, he could sense something was wrong.

'Remember when we met, we agreed to leave Deathstroke and Robin at the door?'

Again, the boy nodded.

'Well, those parts of our lives have caught up to us. We need to get you out of here before they cross paths.' He wrapped the blanket around Dick, careful not to jostle his injured arm. When the blanket was carefully pulled around his small form, Slade informed him he was going to pick him up. Dick nodded, and Slade wound his arms under the boy's legs and around his back, lifting from the bed.

Dick rested his head on the older man's shoulder, slowly drifting back into sleep. They walked up to the warehouse and then out the back door to where they kept the cars. Joey ran ahead and opened the passenger door and Slade lowered the boy down onto the seat. Dick watched the man's face, as he reached the seat belt around him and strapped him in.

'You look angry.' said Dick, still sounding a little dreamy.

'I am.'

Dick's sleepy expression became a little alarmed.

'Not at you, Dick.' He tried to relax his face, to reassure him. 'You'll be home soon.'

'What about you?' Dick's frown seems so genuinely concerned.

'Don't worry about me. I've got some business to attend too.' He looked down at the boy he had been taking care of for nearly two months. He ruffled his messy black hair slightly. 'You'll be alright Dickie, just remember everything we taught you.'

The use of his father's nickname made Dick relax further into the seat, and Slade carefully shut the door. He turned to his son.

'Take care of him but don't put yourself at risk.' He told the young man sternly.

Joey looked at his father with a serious expression.

We will be fine. You be careful! Bane plays dirty – Joey's expression soured further – Sick bastard.