The Truth

A/N: WARNING! This chapter contains explicit mention and description of rape and suicide. Please do not read if these topics are triggering for you.

It was late, Slade's eye was starting to sting with fatigue. After his conversation with Bruce Wayne, he and Dick had gone above ground and into the warehouse, which was decked out with training equipment and a running track. They had spent a few hours running, although Dick had shown interest in some of the other equipment, Slade didn't want him to push himself until his body had had a chance to heal from his fever. This routine continued for a few days, very quickly Dick got his strength back and Slade had to admit, the kid was fast and had a lot of stamina. He was clearly used to running long distances. When they finished their final lap, Dick always appeared to be a lot less agitated.

'You enjoy running.' Slade had commented on the fourth day of their running routine.

'It clears my head.' Dick said from his place on the floor, stretching his legs out in front of him and bending himself over them whilst gripping the soles of his feet.

'Is that what you were doing the other night?' Slade asked, remembering the clothing he had found the boy wearing. 'Clearing your head?'

Dick had looked up at him, weighing up what he should tell him. 'Cyborg found out the truth.' He finally answered. 'He confronted me about it.'

'What did you tell him?'

'The truth. The guy was caught and that's that.'

'Is that the truth?' Slade asked. 'Remember you promised not to lie to me.'

Dick was silent, finishing his stretch and getting back to his feet.

'It should be the end of it.' He said.

'Unfortunately, what should be and what actually happens are often different things.' Said Slade. 'I presume it was this conversation with your teammate that pushed you over the edge?'

Dick nodded, a grimace on his face. He would never blame Cyborg for his breakdown, but he knew that conversation had been the final straw.

'Have you ever told anyone what happened to you?' Slade asked, trying to be gentle but direct.

'I told you, I saw a shrink.'

'Oh, I know you told them the basic facts. But have you ever shared what actually happened? What did you feel? What you were thinking?'

An alarmed expression crossed over Dick's face. 'Have you even said out loud what happened to you? Without the mask.' Dick's expression answered this question for him.

'Some things shouldn't be said out loud. They just need to be forgotten.' Dick mumbled.

'But you're not forgetting. You're letting it fester inside you. Does it make your skin crawl? Is that why you have the water so hot when you shower, to make the itch go away?'

Dick's eyes were wide, and his mouth hung open slightly. How the hell did he know all of that? He took a step back as Slade came forward, but the older man caught his arm gently.

'I told you, I've seen many things, Richard.' His voice was gentle, but his look was intense. 'There is nothing you can say that would shock me, nothing that would make me judge you, or think any less of you.'

They had shared eye contact for a few more seconds, then Dick looked away and nodded.

They didn't talk any more after that. Slade was content that he had planted the idea in Dick's head that he should share his thoughts. Now, he just needed to wait until the boy was ready. They had cleaned up (he noted that Dick had the water temperature a lot lower this time) and had dinner. Seemingly still in thought, Dick went to bed.