2 - Strange Things

Tom awoke to find himself lying down on a table, finding this a rather strange place to be, rather than contemplate the use of a table as a bed he listened intently to the hushed conversation happening just across the room. A voice, seemingly an older woman, desperate and hushed, cried.

"You saw his necklace! You know what that means!" And while this person did, I imagine you don't. I mentioned it earlier white diamond caged in gold on a dainty chain. However I neglected to tell you it's importance as it represents Tom's lineage, his clan and their power. The seal of his family acting as proof of his identity, and somehow this woman knew it.

"I know, I know." Another spoke, Tom tried to analyse her voice, but to little success. Her accent was a different foreign tongue to him or alternatively what you would know as American. "But I'm sure there's an explanation, or it's a coincidence! Beside you said it yourself, he's too young. You're just being paranoid."

The older women sighed, asking. "Will you watch him for me. I need to check on Theo again." A quiver of worry traced her voice at the name. The younger made a noise as though she was starting a sentence but stopped herself abruptly. "Thank you." The older woman left.

Tom waited as the girl made her way around the edge of the room, tapping her fingers along the wall, to some sort of vague melody before she hit a seemingly breakable object and knocked it on to the floor with a resounding crack.

He used this as an excuse to wake up startled, facing the direction of the sound he finally saw the girl. Was girl right? She was definitely old enough to be considered a fully grown adult but a fresh look of youth shone on her face too.

She was looking down, her expression betraying a small amount of guilt before she shuffled her foot and kicked the object under the cabinet it had come from.

Shoulder-length dark brown hair framed an angular heart shaped face, olive skin and patched course clothes were the first things he noticed. She looked up, realising he has woken up. "Ah... you're awake." She spluttered.

"Yes, I noticed," he shot back dryly. "What day is it?"

"Uhh Friday."

"No the date." He replied irritably.

"Oh, January 7th."

January. No. It was August. He thought. Then why is August so cold? A nagging voice asked.

"Well uhh, someone... outside the village, found you..." she continued, attempting to fill the silence. "You've been put for about a day and-"

"The dog." He interrupted. She looked taken a back. "There was a dog, with me," He hesitated. Was there? He shook the thought away.

"Oh yeah, they took it to the vets. He looked pretty bad." She answered sympathetically. "Don't worry they're really good, I'm sure he be fine." She rushed forward, when she saw him pushing himself of the table to leave.

"Yes I'm sure." He retorted. "Now, I thank you for your help but I really must be going." He hopped off the table and started forwards but she moved in his way.

"No, wait. You can't go anywhere. You're not healed." Gritting his teeth he tried not to roll his eyes. Be polite. The voice in the back of his head nagged. He gently took a hold of her hands and turned on a charming smile.

"And I thank you so much for all of your help." He spoke with the utmost sincerity. Quietly manoeuvring himself, he spun her round on the spot, changing their places. His sudden charisma hadn't seemed to in-trance her as much as it concerned her but it did the job.

Tom stepped backwards and out of the room before she came to her senses and dashed forwards. As she grabbed his shoulder he sighed and turned around. "Now, I'm sorry but I really must leave."