Chapter Sixteen

Hmmm....Next chapter after 20 comments and 40 votes? I know you guys can do it <3

So the song is for the end of the chapter. I know it's country but the chorus fits so perfectly (not really the rest of the song too much but hey, it's close)

Enjoy <3

I knocked on the door to Maddy’s house as I wiped my face to dry up my tears. “Hey what are you doing here?” Maddy asked yawning.

“I left Kellan.” I heard a cup drop in the kitchen and shatter on the floor. Maddy gaped at me.

“What?” She asked shocked. I nodded as I fought the urge to cry again.

“I left him. I packed up when he was at work and was ready when he came home.” She pulled her robe around her tighter as a breeze blew on us.

“Come in, it’s cold.” I picked up the car seat and walked in as Bob came walking into the room.

“I put the water on for some tea.” I nodded as I put my bag down on the floor.

“Do you think we can stay here while I get back on my feet?” I asked her as I took a tissue off the table to blow my nose.

“Of course, Sweetheart. You can stay in your old room.” She pulled me into a hug as I tried to calm down.

“I’ll go get your bags.” Bob said clearing his throat. He gave me a quick rub on my back before walking out. 

“Come sit down, Char.” She sat me on a stool in the kitchen as she got cups for the tea. “What happened? Did you talk to Kellan?” I nodded.

“I did. He cheated on her with me.” I looked down sadly as she handed me my cup of tea. “He wanted a paternity test.” She stared at me wide eyed. “So I left. I said we would work out visitation for Jamie.” I took a sip of my tea. I shook my head. “Hurt me once, shame on me. Hurt me twice, shame on you. Hurt my baby, and I will kill you.” I gave a humorless laugh.

“Oh Charlotte.” She gave me a sad look.

“I thought he changed. But I guess he didn’t. Everything he told me was a lie. Everything.” I shook my head. “How can I ever trust him? He lied about every little thing he said in New Hampshire.” I put my face in my hands. “I hate myself for falling for it.” I felt arms wrap around my shoulders as I sobbed into my hands.  “Why do I have to love him?” I cried.

“I know baby.” Maddy rubbed my back leaning her cheek against my head. “Love hurts so much.”

“Why did he have to hurt me?” I sobbed quietly. “Why did I have to believe him?”

“You were pregnant with his baby. You wanted it to be real. You still do.” I shook my head.

“No, I don’t want to see him. I hate him.” I picked my head up to look at her. She wiped my cheek.

“You don’t mean that. You’re just hurt and tired. You could never hate a person.” I sniffled as she picked up a tissue handing it to me. I blew my nose as she pushed my hair behind my ear. “Why don’t you go set up for Jamie and change while I make her a bottle?” I shook my head.

“I think I’ll just breast feed.” I smiled weakly at her as I wiped my face with my sleeves.

“Okay. I’ll bring you a glass of water.” I walked into the front room to see Bob holding Jamie as she stared up at him. He looked up as I walked in.

“Hey.” He gave me a weak smile.

“Hey, Sweetheart.” He rocked Jamie as she gave a whimper. “I put everything upstairs. We’ll get through this, Baby.” I could feel the tears coming on. “I know, Baby. But we’re here to help. Do you want a hug?” I nodded at him as he pulled me into a one armed hug. “I’m sorry, Baby.” He sighed leaning his chin on my head. “I’m always going to be here for you no matter how my kids screw up.” He whispered as Jamie moved in his arms to get closer to me. “I promised your parents when they left that I would take care of you. I always will.” I looked up at him as he smiled. “You’re my baby too. He screwed up bring time with you.” I nodded leaning my head on his shoulder.