For the Love of Camelot

Everyone could feel it. Knights, farmers and other brave men and women made ready to defend the land of which they called their home with King Arthur as their leader. The king stood, gazing upon his men as they armed themselves with swords, bows and axes. He's breathing was calm and his face full of strength and determination. He had to be brave for his people, show them this battle could be won. He knew, that in the corners, there was talk about this being an impossible task to complete. But it wasn't. Arthur eyed his servant secretly. He still didn't know what to feel when he did so. It felt like being torn in two different directions. He was so angry that Merlin had kept a secret like this from him for so long and wanted to throw him out - but he knew he needed the young warlock's powers. But would that be enough to fight Morgana off? Arthur knew her powers had grown over the years. And she wasn't alone. She had an older witch, a witch of war, on her side. Arthur remembered what the druid girl Sibyl had said; that Morgana had to be stopped... and then she had called Merlin Emrys. 

Emrys... that name. 

It was like nothing Arthur had ever heard before. It had to mean something special, only he had no idea what. He had no idea what anything really was anymore. It was all so confusing. It was almost ruling Arthur's head, but he couldn't let it grab hold of him completely. He had a kingdom and its people to think about. That was the main thing. Arthur took a deep breath, straightening his back; he had to put aside his own, personal feelings, and do what was required of him as king. There were a thousand things he could shout at Merlin, over and over again, but he chose to set those feelings apart. He would do anything to save Camelot from Morgana. Arthur set everything in on stopping her. That's how he found a way to accept Merlin as an ally.

Merlin himself was running around, helping were he could. It was impossible for him to stand still. Whatever was coming, was big. No doubt. It excited him and scared him at the same time.

"Here..." The king threw a weapon at him. "You better prepare. This isn't going to be easy."

The young warlock nodded. "Yes, Sire," he answered dutifully even though he had little use for the weapon he was just given. Arthur took one more look at him, then turned to leave. He didn't have anymore kindness left in him now.

"We leave in a few minutes," he told the knights, who instantly ran to prepare the rest of the men. Arthur turned his attention to Gwen.

"Are you sure you this is a good idea?"

"Yes," she answered and sent him on of her warm, kind smiles that was one of the things that kept the king going. "Arthur, you made the right decision."

Arthur tried to smile, but it was more of a grimace than an actual smile. "I didn't mean that..." He reached out to touch her hand. "I meant you. Why do you want to fight this battle?"

"Camelot is our home, Arthur; it's where we all belong." She took his hand. That was answer enough. Together, the two of them went to the front of the army to lead them to the citadel. In the corner of her eye, Gwen saw Merlin hugging Gaius; the time was now.

Inside the citadel itself, another army was readying its men. Morgana was watching. She was well aware that Arthur was planning to attack at any moment now. She simply had to wait for it. But not for much longer.

"They are here, Morgana," Caelan said, as a devious smile spread upon her face.

"Good," Morgana said. "Then we shall give them the welcome the deserve..." She gave a simple nod; that was the order. Caelan raised in her hands the old stick she carried around. She ordered the army to attack as soon as they saw the enemy. Red capes, swords, and roars of bravery met Morgana and Caelan's slaves of magic, who were dressed in black as the dark magic they were bound with. The first swords starting clinging against each other; it had now begun. The fight was brutal. Merlin stood in the midst of it, his face covered in mud and something red. Everywhere around him friends were fighting enemies with burning arrows flying right over their heads. The distant roars of victory were overpowered by roars of the dying and of pain. The air was filled with unkind grey smoke that only waited for an opportunity to strangle the weak. Merlin saw the red cloaks swinging in and out of the smoke closely followed by black shadows... it was almost like a hunt. Leon fought against two of Morgana's slaves. Their swords were like deadly snakes, though not able to finish the brave knight of. But Leon wasn't the only knight to fight two at the same time; some were lucky as he, able to stay alive and pose a threat, others were not. Sir Adrian had tried to take on three slaves - on his own. Now he lay dead on the ground, only a few meters away from where Merlin stood. His heart was pierced by a silver sword.

"AAAARRRGHHH!" roared a slave, who was quite large, going straight for Merlin.

It was obvious that he didn't stand a chance against this man. Not if he used a sword, anyway. Merlin looked around quickly, before he raised a hand as his eyes turned golden. The man was thrown backwards and into the smoke. It did not seem like he would return any time soon. Merlin knew he had to move. If someone wanted to know who threw that man, they would instantly think of magic if they saw him, Merlin, stand there with a raised hand and no sword. Luckily, everyone who was still standing fought their best and had eyes for no one, but their current opponents. This gave Merlin the advantage he needed. He wasted no time, but ran to find Arthur. It was hard to tell what caused him the most trouble; the enemy or his own leak legs failing him? Merlin knew his they were nothing more than sticks as they had always been. Arthur made sure that Merlin remembered that almost every day. But where was he? Where was the king? Merlin made his way to the palace plaza, as the king stormed inside, apparently chasing someone. Merlin wasn't sure he wanted to know whom...

"Codswallop!" he yelled and, going after his friend. I must be insane! he thought to himself. It was hard to miss Arthur's voice. Merlin could hear him roaring and cursing at however he was chasing. Normally that kind of behavior wasn't fit for a king, but Arthur didn't seem to care much about what he should and shouldn't do right now. Arthur had spotted Morgana at the midst of the battlefield. She had sent him a scornful smile, only to disappear, until Arthur realized she was headed for the citadel.

"COME BACK HERE, YOU COWARD! FIGHT ME!" The king was trembling with rage as he ran after her with Merlin with right behind him.