Do This, Do That...

Gaius was making potions for his usual patients using the usual ingredients. Everything was placed neatly and categorized from benevolent to lethal. He had everything a physician with respect for himself and his profession would have. Anything that would help him cure the ills of the kingdom, the people, and of course the king. Gaius was in the habit of making most of his concoctions by heart due to his many years of experience. His work required a good eye, precision, and talent. Now, he was concentrating on the eye drops for old Sir Gregor, who had nearly gone blind with the years. It was no difficult concoction to make, yet a small shock forced Gaius to start over; Merlin burst into the room, nearly scaring the old man to death. He yawned loudly and dropped onto the nearest seat he could find. 

"You would not believe what a night it has been!" he told the old physician. "I have been around and about the entire citadel and the town as well!"

Gaius raised a worried eyebrow as he made a new start of Sir Gregor's eye drops. "Then I suspect Merlin, that you now know what it feels like to be old," Gaius answered, paying his assistant little attention. "Did you see the intruder by any chance?"

"No," Merlin replied. "But I know who it was. The knight who reported the whole thing has gone missing as if by magic. I am telling you, Gaius. It was Morgana. I know it was."

That was what Gaius had been afraid to hear. He paused his work to meet Merlin's gaze. "It seems she has made her return then, yes. Quite as we feared." He put the last ingredient in old Sir Gregor's eyedrops and took a seat across from Merlin to inquire further of the night's events.

"We followed a trail of footprints as well this morning," Merlin told Gaius. "They stopped just as they entered the forest. Again, as if they were conjured by magic."

Gains frowned. "I see. That does indeed sound like Morgana was involved. Merlin, you must make sure he is safe. Morgana is dangerous for everyone who lives under Arthur's rule - especially if their name is Emrys..." he looked Merlin in the eyes, frowning deliberately.

"I know," Merlin answered. "She has been on her way for a while, I think. She has attempted to conceal her path. Still, I have heard reports of strange women passing through the nearby villages. There has even been reports of damages on the roads between them. Some have involved Arthur's men. And these damages... they could not possibly be the work of an ordinary man. It was magic - strong magic."

"You suspect her powers have grown?" Gains asked. "Does the king suspect her as well?"

Merlin shrugged. "I certainly hope not. He has not mentioned her name and neither has anyone else. Who knows what Arthur would do, if he found out Morgana penetrated the walls of his 'secure' town? He's paranoid enough as it is..."

Gaius raised an eyebrow at Merlin's last comment. "You must be sure to keep an eye on the king at all times."

Merlin nodded once again, leaning back against the wall, enjoying a little peace and quiet. He still had some time before he had to return to work. Then he realized Gaius was still watching him. "You mean now?" Merlin asked.

"Yes," Gaius answered in a rather strict tone. "I mean now."

Merlin sighed, getting on his feet. "Just then you think you can relax a little..." he mumbled, then turned to Gaius. "And Gaius, I do know what it's like to be old, remember? I tried it!"

Gains frowned with a worried expression. "Merlin, is something wrong?" he asked, ignoring the previous comment.

"I don't know!" Merlin exclaimed. "Gains, I have been awake for who knows how many hours, and Arthur keeps ordering me about! And all the while I must to pretend that I am a nobody! I must never show him who I really am! I find myself wishing he did, sometimes, because it would make everything easier... but at the same time, I know that is not possible. I know that."

Gaius put a hand on Merlin's shoulders. "I know it is hard to hide who you are, my boy, but it is for the best. What do you expect Arthur would do to you if he knew?"

"I don't want to know... I can only hope he's in a better mood now..." Merlin said and wandered off to the king's chambers. "Why is someone always trying to harm Arthur? And why - why - does it always happen when I am supposed to have time to myself? Do this, Merlin, do that, Merlin, go save the day Merlin, and then polish Arthur's armor and mock out the stables, would ya? You're not going to get any thanks anyway!"

It seemed luck did not favor Merlin much that day. The king was in quite a state when Merlin served wine at that afternoon's council meeting. Apparently nobody could come up with a plausible idea as to whom the intruder was. Sir Leon and his patrol had not found any other leads on their search. Neither had the guards and knights working within the town walls. Merlin dared not say what he was thinking during the arguments. Arthur was close to mentioning his sister's name, but shook the idea from his mind just in time to avoid it. All the council members left the hall frustrated and so did the king. As a result, Merlin was given extra work to do. The list was long enough to bring them from the hall and all the way up to Arthur's chambers. Merlin let Arthur lead the way and closed the door quietly as Arthur kicked a chair in anger. Saying nothing, Merlin picked it up and put it back in place and went on to prepare Arthur's bed for the night. He too was lost in thought. Thoughts of what was to come in the near future.

"Merlin, what do you think you're doing?!" Arthur demanded, crossing his arms, looking like he was about to explode. "Why are you removing ALL the pillows?!" He sighed and his tone got friendlier. "Never mind. My clothes still needs washing. Maybe you can get that right?"

Merlin looked at the king with a sour expression as he picked up one of the pillows he had dropped. He almost decided not to apologize, but did it anyway. "I'm sorry, Sire."

Any idiot could hear that he didn't mean it. And so could Arthur. "What is the matter with you? You act as if somebody just accused you of being the intruder or something!"

Merlin didn't answer. He just picked up the dirty clothes. "I'll have these washed by tomorrow," he promised, forcing himself to take a light bow. "Will there be anything else, Sire?"

Arthur now looked as angry as Merlin felt inside, until the his expression suddenly turned into something that looked a lot like worry - but it couldn't be... could it?

"Yes, Merlin, there is," Arthur continued. "I'll need some water."

Merlin nodded. "Of course." He went to fetch the water jug to pour some water for Arthur, then turned to leave.

"Merlin," said Arthur. "I ask you again; is something wrong?"

Merlin almost managed to smile in order to convince the king. "No, Sire. Everything is fine. I'll see you in the morning." He walked off with a mysterious look on his face, before Arthur had the chance to stop him.

They both knew this conversation was far from over, nevertheless. Merlin certainly knew he needed sleep to deal with tomorrow's challenges.