New times...

It had taken a few days to get everything back to normal. Many of the men Morgana and Caelan had enchanted were now reunited with their families and the citadel was once again in the hands of Camelot's true heir. Yes. Everything was normal. Merlin had gotten his old job as Arthur's servant back and was polishing the king's sword, working hard as ever.

Arthur entered his chambers where Merlin sat. "I see you're working hard. Good." He sat himself down in one of the chairs, just watching Merlin doing his chores.

"I still meant what I said, Arthur," Merlin said. "I'll do anything for you to forgive me."

Arthur thought about it for a moment. "Anything?" he then repeated with a smirk plastered onto his face. "Well, in that case... GUARDS!!"

Merlin frowned not believing what he just heard. "Arthur, what are you doing?" he asked, raising an eyebrow suspiciously.

The king shrugged as the guards grabbed hold of Merlin. "You said you'd do anything. I'm just taking your word for it."

Merlin rolled his eyes as the guards dragged him outside. They took him to the town square, where they placed him in the stocks and left. Apparently, the king had been following them as he was now standing right in front of Merlin.

"Well..." Merlin began. "This is just like first time we met; me ending up here, you laughing at me, whilst the kids are having fun, throwing rotten tomatoes and I don't know what after me... very nice, Arthur, very nice."

"Thank you," Arthur answered proudly. "Just think of it as your reward for keeping secrets." He gave Merlin a pat on the back. "Enjoy!"

Merlin rolled his eyes again, discovering that Gwen, Gaius, Leon, Elyan, Percival and Gwaine were all there, watching and smiling at him. "Just like old times," the warlock mumbled to himself. "Juust like old times." But with some slight changes; a shiny ring was placed on Gwen's right finger, reflecting the sunlight as Arthur took her hand. It would soon be time for her to take her place upon the throne of Camelot beside Arthur.

As if spoken to, the king stepped forward, with Gwen by his side, to speak to the people:

"It has been hard times for us all these past few months! It has been rough and unkind time to even the purest of heart! But that time is gone now; those who threatened us have gone as well as their power has. They brought evil, but also a very important lesson for us all; personally, there were things to which I have been blind, but now see as clearly as I see you. Things, I thought was only a practice of evil as my father once taught me. But he - and I - was both mistaken on that matter. It is wrong to judge without knowing. So, from here on, I declare a new law is to be made. A law concerning the practice of magic. For the good of people of this land and of others, magic no longer be on pain of death... but it may only be practiced on direct permission from me."

Merlin smiled at Arthur. There was no stopping it. Arthur wasn't sure if it was time to show forgiveness just yet, but at this point the king didn't really care. Because he had once again found his servant to be a true friend. The kind that always are there for you. Arthur would be forever grateful - even if he was never going to admit that out loud.

___________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading!

There is an amazing a sequel to this story called "Merlin: The Land of Albion" - go find it if you want to know what happens next to our friends in Camelot!

If you liked my Merlin story, I'm sure you'll like my NEW STORY "The Kingmaker"! It's completely original and is about young William's journey and fight for the crown of Engaland against his uncle, Fendrel :D

- MysteryOfWordsDK