Long Live the King

Meanwhile, Arthur, Gwen, Gwaine, Elyan, Percival and Leon had made their way back into the palace by the help of Arthur's knowledge of its hidden aisles and secret passages; it had not been easy to get inside unseen, but the hardest part was not yet over; it was only about to begin.

"How do we find Merlin without getting seen?" Elyan asked. "There is at least twenty guards in there!" He pointed at the well-guarded door the hall.

Gwaine smiled. "Afraid, are we?" He gave Elyan a little push and received a rebuking look from Arthur.

"Let's just get to work, shall we?" Arthur said, his eyes landing on Gwen, who replied with a determined nod. Together, they took up the fight against the guards with a fire burning inside them; Merlin was here somewhere, no doubt. They simply had to save him. 

"I could use some help!" Elyan shouted in the middle of it all, as five guards surrounded him with snarling sounds. It was as if five snakes made ready to attack the little mouse, placed in the middle of the circle of feast.

"Coming!" Percival shouted. He pushed and fought his way through to Elyan, like a dragon tearing through a city. Together, the two of them brought down three of the snarling snakes, but not entirely without injuries; the brave Gwaine came to their aid, but overestimated his chances. The result was a severe wound on his right arm. The blood was streaming out, but the fight kept on going, until all of the snarling guards were brought down. Out of breath, they all felt a quick wave of relief. But it didn't last long; a horrible scream of terror made them all shrink.

"Merlin," Arthur said and located the sound to come from within the hall. He almost stormed into the room, but some arms grabbed him. "What are you doing?!" he whispered, looking up at Percival and Elyan who had each grabbed onto him.

"We must be cautious, Sire," Leon said. "They do have magic."

Arthur nodded. That, he had forgotten. All he had thought about was saving Merlin. The knights were completely right; swords could win a war of combat, but not of magic.

"What are our options?" Gwaine asked and tried to stop his bleeding. Leon and Gwen came to help and tied and piece of fabric tightly around Gwaine's arm, now covered in blood. The blood was coloring the fabric red in a matter of seconds. Gwaine knew he didn't have much time before something had to be done about it; but right now he had a friend to save. "Just find out quick, would ya? I'm not sure I can take much more of that screaming..." He shook his head towards the hall from where they'd heard the screams.

Elyan smiled. "What's wrong, Gwaine? Getting scared?"

"Shhh!" Arthur breathed with a finger against his lips. He was gazing through the keyhole to the hall. The sight within it was anything but pleasant.

"What do you see, Sire?" Leon's voice was faint, unsure of which he really wanted an answer or not.

"Merlin's in there. They're torturing him with some kind of magic plant." Arthur's voice was strangely distant. Several of the knights wanted to see for themselves and for each face Gwen saw turn gloomy, it made her go more and more desperate to do something about it. She just didn't know what.

"We have to do something!" she exclaimed. "We can't let them do this to him!"

"I know," Arthur said. "And I have an idea; hide yourselves and leave the guards for Morgana and her friend to see. I will need one of you to scream - we have to get their attention somehow. And then, when they come out, you sneak in to free Merlin. Meanwhile, I will distract them."

"No!" said Gwen. "We're here to free Merlin, not to give them another prisoner!" She looked Arthur in the eyes. "I will not lose you!"

He took her hand. "Don't worry about me, worry about Merlin. We have to get him out – now, before it's too late! Besides, Percival and Leon will come back to assist me."