running with the wolves // e. kirishima; werewolf

En başından başla

you should have been one of them, you thought bitterly.

someone bumped into you, and a fire lit in the pit of your stomach, anger that came with the disease. deep breaths. it was an accident, they're not actually trying to hurt you. you turned towards the girl, slight scowl on your face.

"i'm sorry! i totally wasn't watching where i was going!" a girl apologized.

you shook your head. "it-it's fine. don't worry about it."

"let me buy you a drink to make up for it," she offered.

you hesitated.

"i insist, please. what do you want? coffee, cappuccino, latte, macchiato?"

"you don't have to--"

"i'll get you a chai tea latte," she said, already turning to approach the register.

it didn't look like you had a choice, and you stuffed your hands into your pockets with a huff, joining her in line. "make it a dirty chai."

she looked at you from the corner of her eye, a smile creeping up on her lips. "i'm ashido, by the way."

"(name)," you said. "nice to meet you."

"pleasure's all mine," she replied. "do you go to the college down the street?"

"used to," you muttered.

her eyes widened. "you already graduated?!"

with a shake of your head, you said, "dropped out."

"oh, gotcha. i mean, college isn't right for everyone. hell, i never even started. too dumb for that stuff," she laughed.

the conversation was put on hold as she told the barista the order. the girl had the pinkest, cotton-candy, bubblegum pink hair you'd ever seen, and it was obvious she kept up with it. her roots weren't even tinged with whatever natural color she had, and she'd even dyed her eyebrows to match. she must have gone to a beauty school of some sort; there was one just a few stores down from the coffee shop, she probably went there.

"where would you like to sit?" she turned to you, shoving a platinum credit card into her wallet.

you bit your lip. "oh, i... i really shouldn't."

making friends wasn't on your to-do list. not with the new disease, the one that made you turn into a wild animal and a danger to society. you couldn't risk anyone finding out, nor could you risk accidentally hurting someone. until you found a cure, you wouldn't allow yourself to make friends.

"awh, please? at least until my friends show up?" she pouted, round, golden eyes pleading with you.

"i... i don't know--"

"pretty, pretty please, with a cherry on top?"

come on, (name), she just bought you a dirty chai. it's the least you could do.

"i guess," you said.

a bright grin spread across her face. "thank you so much!"

you nodded. "sure."

ashido led you to a small table near the window, and you sat down, your eyes glued to the downpour outside. a mother and her child walking down the street, umbrella over their heads and bright yellow rain boots on the child's feet. a man in a tracksuit running down the street on his daily jog despite the rain. a young girl in her twenties walked by the shop window, balancing an umbrella in one and texting on her phone with the other.