5 - I Think You Know What I Mean

Lauren and Camila had pretty much seen each other every day for the past few months. They went running, swimming. They had drinks, deep talks. Deeper than Lauren liked to admit in her reports. Lauren taught Camila how to cook. Camila taught Lauren random facts about the world. Her world. But all of that had changed after the 'situation' in the swimming pool that one day, and Lauren hated it.

"Aren't you seeing Camila today?" Zayn wondered, sounding genuinely interested. "She's a big asset to the plan, you know. We kinda need you to stay in contact with her."

"I know.." Lauren sighed.

"Why won't you tell me what happened last week?" 

"It doesn't really matter." Lauren said.

"It does if you don't speak to her anymore."

Lauren frowned, looking up from her bowl of cereal. "Whatever. I'll- I'll go talk to her later, Zayn."

"Fine." Zayn said, taking his mug filled with tea and walking towards the hallway.

"Wait, don't you have plans with Armando today?" Lauren asked him.

He turned around and nodded. "We're doing a deal tonight. A smaller one."

A sigh escaped the green eyed girl's lips. "Again? When will he finally trust you enough so we can make that big deal happen?"

Zayn smiled. "You just want this to be over huh?"

"Kinda." Lauren shrugged.

"Well then, re-friend Cabello. It'll probably go a lot faster if she's not on his mind."

"Fine."

———

Lauren took a couple of deep breaths before finally finding the courage to ring the doorbell of her neighbour's house. It had been exactly a week since she'd seen Camila and Zayn was right, it would be good for the operation to see the young woman again so that Armando wouldn't be distracted.

The door opened slowly, revealing a tired looking Camila. Her brown hair looked a little wilder than usual and there were creases around her eyes that Lauren hadn't seen before.

"Hey." She said, her voice soft. "I brought muffins."

A smile appeared on Camila's face and she pulled her into a strong hug. "I missed you." She mumbled into her ear while she hauled her into the house.

"I missed you too." Lauren replied. Much to her dislike, she wasn't lying.

"Come in." Camila said then, taking Lauren's hand and pulling her towards the living-room. Lauren ignored the electric pulses running through her limbs, or tried at least, by biting down on her lip. She shook her head and looked down at the ground while Camila, who seemed to oblivious to her struggle smiled and asked her; "What kind of muffins did you make?"

"Blueberry muffins. I hope they turned out okay."

"Let's have some tea and try them out."

Lauren nodded and put them onto the table. "Isn't Armando home?" She asked.

Camila shook her head.

"God, this man works so much. Does he really sell that many cars?" Lauren wondered out loud, making Camila look at her curiously.

"I- I guess so." She shrugged before turning around grabbing some mugs.

A few minutes later the two women were sitting at the table, a mug of tea in between their hands. "You need to teach me how to bake those." Camila said, pointing at the empty, plastic box that had been full just minutes prior.

"I will." Lauren smiled. "It's really not that hard."

"Did you know that blueberries are one of the few foods that are actually 'naturally' blue?" Camila beamed. A small piece of muffin was still sitting on her lips and Lauren smiled, her arm reaching forward semi-automatically.

"Oh is that so?" She said, brushing it off her lip with her thumb. They had a moment of eye-contact and there suddenly was a lot more tension than Lauren preferred. "Nerd." She said quickly, retreating her arm and noticing how Camila's eyes skimmed down to her lips for a mere second before she looked away.