Episode Nineteen

After asking me two more times if I was okay, Lucy finally left the topic alone before going to class

After asking me two more times if I was okay, Lucy finally left the topic alone before going to class. I didn't rush, and honestly, I didn't care if I was tardy. I needed a minute to process.

My migraine was still having a heyday as I walked in a daze to my locker. Students whizzed passed, which told me the tardy bell was about to ring.

Tiffany, from my hate club, purposely clipped me with her elbow as she whisked by. "Griffin's mine, you stupid slut."

An odd sense of relief ran over me. Hearing her say that was strangely comforting. It kept me grounded and made me happy to know that not everything had changed.

My hate club still hated me. Good. I was still in a normal world with normal people.

Once I made it to my locker, the halls were nearly empty. It took me a few tries, and some focused concentration until I finally got my locker open.

A minty aroma whooshed past me, bringing me a solid dose of clarity. Tyler's hoodie still hung inside my locker.

This world was totally fucked up in ways I'd never realized, but I wasn't stupid and I needed to face the facts. Griffin scared the crap out of me during lunch. And don't even get me started on Justin and Tyler. They had some crazy superpowers.

Did Lucas have superpowers too? Did I? What was with my invisible flames that slapped Griffin across the face?

I was beginning to believe that my therapist was full of shit. I wasn't an oversensitive Empath or anything that a so-called professional could diagnose. I was a total freak.

Whatever I was experiencing was not normal, and I had to assume Tyler had been trying to talk to me about it, but I'd been a complete douche nozzle to him. Still, Tyler deserved my anger. He wasn't exactly the winning specimen of trust.

Honestly, I was just scared shitless, I'd always lived in my little box of life and followed the rules no matter what.

Do everything your parents say. Go to classes. Be on time. Train constantly. Take your pill. Call your boyfriend.

And damn, I was just sick of my fucked up existence.

Clearly, there were forces at work that I could no longer ignore. I'd been in similar situations to Griffin's in the past, but it had never resulted in flames before. In the past, darkness had enveloped me, and I'd even heard people's thoughts, but this thing with Griffin... was something new. Something terrifying.

One thing was true. My pills weren't working, and it was time to stop taking them.

"You good?"

I didn't look because I knew that voice.

"Look, I don't know what's going on, but unless you guys plan on filling me in, I don't want to talk." I slammed my locker, revealing Justin. Flutters filled my belly.