Episode Fifteen

"Lucas!" Missy was tailing us

Lucas sent me an apologetic look before spinning to face her. "Yeah?"

"Where're you going with her?" Missy's glare landed on me.

"Just walking." Lucas shrugged.

"Let's go." Lucy tugged on my elbow.

"See you guys later," I said before following Lucy.

"Wait, Ember." Lucas's smooth voice sent goosebumps down my spine, forcing me to stop and look back.

"Screw her, Lucas." Missy sneered.

People were already gathering around us. Seriously? Didn't they have anything better to do?

"She's your family," Lucas's brow narrowed. "Why're you being like this?"

Missy's anger transformed into hurt. "Because we're supposed to talk this morning, right?"

"Yeah." Lucas's stiff shoulders noticeably eased as he glanced at me. "Ember, I'll... uh... see you later?"

I nodded, walking away with Lucy.

"Girl, you got them both tied around your finger," Lucy whispered and giggled. "This morning is going to be all people talk about."

I groaned inwardly. "Don't remind me."

Lucy was right. People were staring at me like I was from a different planet.

After sitting with Mr. Wilkins, the counselor, for well over an hour, I realized he was never gonna help me. In fact, he didn't give one crap about me. My mother had already gotten to him, and he refused to change anything they'd set up together for my future.

Let me repeat that. My future. But I guess when you have a controlling parent, your future doesn't belong to you. He wouldn't even change my locker. Jerk.

So yeah, needless to say, I missed Calculus again, but I showed up bright and chipper for English to find out what I missed yesterday.

"Yesterday, I created a new seating chart for the rest of the semester. Since you missed class yesterday, Mr. Noble was kind enough to jot your name down here." Mr. Phillips pointed to my name on the chart, and I wanted to scream.

Tyler Noble had penned my name right next to his in the back of class. I wasn't a fan of English and sitting in the back of the class with Tyler would only make my ability to learn more difficult.

"Um... Mr. Phillips?" I kept my tone light and vulnerable.

"Yes?" Mr. Phillips handed me a copy of the syllabus for the semester.

"I like to sit in front of the class so I can prioritize correctly. Is there any way I can..." I glanced down at the chart to see that all the seats were full and spotted a name I recognized "... switch seats with Lucas?"