Episode Fourteen

The next morning, Lucy pulled up to the curb before Missy was finished getting ready

"Bye, Aunt Debbie!" I yelled before slamming the front door and running to Lucy's car. Once I was inside, I sighed in relief. "You're a lifesaver."

Lucy let out a laugh. "Good morning to you too."

I chuckled. "Sorry. My night was hell. Putting up with Missy is one thing, but having to deal with Jenny, Lucas, and Tyler is another. I'm lucky I got any sleep last night."

"Yeah, I was wondering about that when I saw Lucas's truck here last night. Lucas, Tyler, and Justin are like inseparable, you know." Lucy's eyebrows raised in chagrin.

"I'm beginning to understand that," I said. "But Justin wasn't there."

"He probably just had something important to do because Justin is always with them. Jenny and Missy are besties, and they're part of a bigger group that hangs out all the time, so... I hate to say it, but this might be a hard transition."

"I know." I groaned. "Could my life suck any more?"

"Well, you could live in a foster home like me." Lucy sent me a tight grin.

"Oh, my God. I totally suck shit, don't I? I'm so sorry, Luce." My face fell into my hands. "I didn't know."

Lucy sent me a half-hearted smile. "It's not so bad. I just have to work to pay for my dance lessons, clothes, and anything else I want. Plus, by the time I get home at night, there's never any dinner left, but I'm not complaining. I need to watch my figure anyway."

Holy shit. I was a horrible person. I would have to help her out whenever I could. Dealing with my stupid drama was nothing compared to what Lucy had to deal with on a daily basis.

"Hey... uh... if you want, I have some clothes and dance stuff I don't use. Most of it has barely been used. We're about the same size." I offered, hoping I didn't sound like a complete jerk.

"Really?" Lucy smiled so big I couldn't help but feel worse. I would have to make sure to take care of my friend.

"Yeah. Come over after dance tonight. You can go through my stuff and take anything you want." I said as she pulled into the parking lot at a comfortable speed.

"Okay." That big smile stayed plastered on her face as she parked at the back of the lot.

"Why are you parking all the way out here?" I unbuckled my seatbelt.

"Because the assholes park in front, and we're not assholes." One of Lucy's eyebrows raised.

I burst out laughing. "You got that right."

While we walked up to the front, Missy came careening through, forcing us to dart out of the way. She nearly hit me. Stupid bitch.

Those familiar butterflies came back to life when I noticed Lucas leaning against the brick wall with one leg propped up. I stiffened when we made eye contact. His eyes instantly lit up to a green glow as he pushed off the wall.