Chapter Three - A Wedding

My eye lashes fluttered open to a bright, white light. Then suddenly the room around me came into focus. I let my eyes wonder around the room until I remembered I was in my suite at the Chateau de Tourreau. The sky outside my window was faint streaks of blue, a cloudless morning sky.

It's my wedding day, my subconscious jumped out of bed and did her happy dance. I instantly smiled at the thought and propped myself up on my arm to look at the old clock on the nightstand next to the bed; eight thirty. I didn't have to start getting ready for another hour or so, so I took a long bubble bath. I wore a clay mask as I mulled over my thousands of thoughts in the hot water. After today, I'd be Mrs. Serena Darkbloom. That thought alone made me anxious to get this day going.

By the time I stepped out of the bathtub and wrapped my white, silk robe around myself, I heard my bedroom door open and Grams' voice called me.

"Renie, baby? You in the bathroom?" She called.

"Yea, I'm decent." I said, giving her the okay to come in.

She walked in with a giant smile, "There's the beautiful bride."

"Good morning, Grams." I hugged her and she squeezed me a little tighter than usual. She was elated, I could tell. She wore curlers in her hair and her face was freshly washed and moisturized. I could tell she was in the midst of getting ready.

"Good morning, sweetheart." She sighed. "I was just coming in to let you know the hairstylist and makeup artist are getting set up in your room."

I thanked her before finishing up my skincare routine and stepping back into my suite. The hairstylist, whose name was Petra, got straight to work. It took an hour and a half and by the time it was finished, I was gawking. My hair was styled intricately into a braided bun at the nape of my neck. Tendrils of hair fell artfully at either side of my face.

When it came time for my make up, I'd asked the artist to complement my shoes I was wearing with my gown: cobalt blue, almond toed Manolo Blahniks. The make up artist, whose name was Randy, obeyed. He'd given me a smokey eye with a hint of blue and a pouty, old-Hollywood red lip. By the time Randy finished my make up, it was ten o'clock and Larsa and Asha had walked into my suite.

"Oh, Serena, you look so beautiful." Asha squealed as she came in. She looked beautiful with her hair styled in a sleek ponytail and her dress was a tile blue, strapless number.

"Thank you! Likewise! You ladies look amazing." I smiled at both she and Larsa.

"I'm just glad you gave us free reign on bridesmaids dresses." Larsa hugged me as she spoke. She donned a gold slip gown that looked as though it was a liquid against her deep, dark skin. Her hair was swept up in an elegant French twist and it looked beautiful on her heart shaped face.

"Of course! I knew you two would look fabulous in whatever." I said, just as Grams breezed back into my suite fully done up. She was gorgeous, dressed in a purple off-the-shoulder gown with her shoulder-length curls piled on the crown of her head. She was carrying a large white garment bag and I instantly knew it was my gown.

"Here's the dress." Grams announced as she lay the bag on the foot of the bed.

"Yes! We finally get to see it!" Larsa mused and she and Asha glowed with excitement.

I took my robe off, only wearing a white bra and panties set as Grams and the girls helped me get into my dress. Everyone in the rooms breathing hitched as they caught sight of me in my gown.

"Baby, you are so stunning." Grams spoke first.

"An absolute vision, Serena. Really." Asha echoed.