Chapter 35: MAVEN

It is a taxing couple of weeks, slowly draining me, but I have long mastered the art of patience.

I approach the garden slowly into the deepest part hidden by enormous plant arrangements, following on two minds who are lost in thought, drunk on their own little world.

Or so they thought. Evangeline is foolish to think that the gardens will hide her secrets. That Samos girl might all be sharp turns when she is in battle, but having her heart take over has made her stupid.

I am speaking for myself after denying the leisure of connecting with Mare to focus on a greater agenda. 

As I approach them and hear their heavy breaths, I scowl and think if I am of a greater fool than Evangeline is by torturing myself and Mare both with these mind games.

"For the love of the gods, Evangeline, you sure breathe hard," 

I move quickly, avoiding the metal darts she is throwing at me by reading her mind. She is the best of the house Samos, and without my other ability she would hit me bull's eye.

Before Evangeline throws something again, I anticipate her move and create a ring of fire around her.

"Fire heats metal well, but too bad you're almost naked and don't have much with you," I mock her. Usually she is with heavy gowns made of metal, but I've caught her in perfect timing.

She raises her chin stubbornly, not even bothering to cover her upper part. Her breasts are showing, but she knows she is gorgeous and have nothing need to hide. Always proud. 

"Ah, darling, is the fire an attempt to give heat to the moment? I am waiting,"

"Save yourself some dignity, Samos, I have no need for bullshit."

She flushes and sneers, preparing for a fight to defend herself. She is already planning an escape in her mind, afraid I will kill her. Afterall, she betrayed me.

"Don't hide, Elane," I call out, sensing her blending in the shadows, preparing to run and yet watching Evangeline. I know she will not leave her alone with me.

This time a look of shock and panic passes Evangeline's face. 

"Don't test me, Elane. I can pinpoint exactly where you stand right now," I say mockingly. "Perhaps you'd like to see how well I can beat you in hide and seek."

I throw a ring of fire around her, though she remains invisible.

"Go on, tell me nobody's here, Evangeline. I can always let the fire suck up oxygen and suffocate her, that has to be nice isn't it?"

"How can you even tell?" Evangeline stammers. "She is a Shadow, we are not supposed to see them."

She is in no position to argue. She does not say anything, but I know that she is still calculating her chances now that I've uncovered her secret. She cannot plead with me, so she will try with force even if it's a fight to death to save Elane.

"Don't think about fighting me as well. It's useless. I only want to talk anyway,"

Her eyes widen. She is not sure if I have read her mind, but she knows I cannot and that it is impossible, so she convinces herself that it was probably what I was going to say anyway.

I turn the fires off, and Elane appears fast, but I had hold  before any of them can attack me. Elane's face slowly locks into a scream she cannot voice out. Evangeline is shaking.

"Well, I had to take it out you know. I'd hate to burn the garden. Besides, it's becoming a beacon. I don't want people to find us all here. Now, shall I release you both for a decent talk and so you may change or will it be like this?"

I let Evangeline talk. "What trick is this Maven? What are you?" she whispers but her voice is dripping with venom. 

I chuckle. "Do I need to explain myself? Isn't it obvious? I am both."

"This is impossible,"

"Then you'd say you're hallucinating now? Love makes you high, but not that high Evangeline."

I release my hold on them completely. "Get dressed properly. I want to talk about an alliance. Meet me at my room later. Elane, too. But she needs to hide. You can come into it, pretend we're spending the night together. We're engaged anyway. Don't think about running away, don't consider not coming, because I hold all the cards here. Besides, I'm offering you a chance of freedom."

*************************

I don't greet Evangeline when she comes in the door, now back with her heavy gown. 

I nod at her, and to Elane as she materializes out of the shadows.

"Tea?" I hold out my cup in form of a toast, and sit down in the table by my bed. I never liked showing my privacy to anyone, and I scowl at how I see them assessing my room.

It is Elane who speaks first. "What are we here for your Majesty?" I see Evangeline grimace at this.

Always polite, Elane. Total opposite of her counterpart. But before I can even speak, Evangeline pipes up. 

"Cut the chase, and tell us what you want us for. We should rally against an abomination like you,"

I laugh at this accusation. An abomination. I have not thought of my powers as such, but how amusing that it is somehow correct in a way. 

"Abomination, yes. But fear, the fear it ignites is powerful," I say. 

I laugh again. "See how you both carried silent stones to null out all our abilities. Two to one is bad, and going against you in combat will not do me any favors. I am no idiot, Evangeline."

"Don't threaten me, because I am not afraid, silly girl. If you think a few stones is enough for me, it isn't," I let my whisper ability creep into their minds, slowly, and holding them to their spot. They are already weakened by silent stone, and although it nulls out my fire abilities, I still have reservoir left.

"Now if we will all just stay friends for a while, this would be quick. You both dream of a place where you could be free, and that is not Norta now. But if you support me, I can give it to you. Both your houses are one of the strongest. I need you should the others try to stand in my way."

"What makes you think it's that easy? We do not hold our houses. Our fathers do. My brother does. I won't even have anything in it, that is why I'm engaged to you," Evangeline admits. "The Silvers will never agree to giving the Reds some rights."

"This is the only way to keep the crown. Change has already began. There are those among us who are like us but they are Reds. If we do not adapt, we will lose. I need my crown, this is mine. I will keep it even if I'd have to start a war from within."

Evangeline calculates this. "Even if we swear our allegiance to you, it will mean nothing but our own. We cannot speak for our houses."

"Ptolemus will follow you anywhere, and both your families are snakes and cowards who will back me once they see my might. And they will see it."