Chapter 21: MARE

I snuggle in closer to Maven's chest, enough to hear his steady heartbeat. I inhaled his minty scent as he smoothed my hair.

"We can stay in this forever," I say, my legs hooked with his. Maven's gaze seem to be beyond the ceiling of the underground lair we were now in, his eyes reflecting deep thoughts. I tried to erase that by trailing kisses around his chin.

"You're not answering my question," I am now bothered by his silence, though why should I? Maven is always silent. But my plea hangs like a ghost in the air, haunting our moment. I almost wished I hadn't asked him.

But I had to. I touch Maven's arms, amazed by the change not only in his presence, but in his physical body as well. Cal used to have an edge in that department, though Maven is not as bulky as him. He just looked mature. I guess I liked the fact that despite him being a King, him becoming a man, he is still the Maven who once promised me the world.

Would he still promise me the world?

"Mare.." Maven said, his voice cutting the silence. He turned to gaze at me. "I don't think I can now. I want to, I have always chosen you first. But I cannot defeat everyone. Not through this. Not now."

I could feel my tough heart getting crushed by the boy King beside me, his cold fire slowly trapping my soul.

He takes me closer, holding me tighter. He takes me up that I am now in level with his stare. "You have to understand, let's do this my way. Let's bid time. I am getting powerful."

"So it has always been about power, isn't it?" I said, tensing. "You could choose to leave this all behind and be with me, but you're not doing that."

"And what? Run away from everyone all the time? Never have peace until they kill us or we them?" Maven's stare is hard, trying to force the truth into me.

I am stubborn enough. "Then we kill them," I am lightning girl, and he's the fire king. Together we can both bring our enemies down.

Maven sighs, his long lashes hitting his pale skin. I wish we could just end this argument and be done with it. But there are better things to discuss now. "You forget that it'll be us against the world. Who are you counting on to help us? Cal? The Reds? I doubt they'll do. And I'm not in line with the Scarlet Guard's aims, putting another massacre of race."

"You forget that I'm one of them."

"You forget that I'm the one, Mare. I'm the Silver King."

I stood up, but Maven's arms pin around me. "Stay, for now. Stay," his whispers to me, pleading and begging. "I am fighting for you. You don't have to ask it, because I'm already doing it. Now let's not fight. We only have a few moments left. Don't waste it, please."

I turn to him, and damn my beating red heart.

-------
A/N: I leave you to think about that, dear readers!! PS. The struggle only starts here. ;) Thank you so much for reading this!