Chapter 25: MAVEN

"Maven."

I should kick myself. A King should always be ready, but my mind is on clouds again. I tried to concentrate as mother calls for me.

"Yes?" I say, pretending to be bored.

"You seem occupied these days," she cooed, walking up to the throne with servants at her heels. She maintains eye contact with me, I look away.

"Mother.."

She laughs, "Oh yes. I sometimes forget that I'm not allowed to touch my son's mind, whatever it is that is bothering him."

I sighed. "What do you want, mother?"

She paces around, her long gown trailing behind her. She lazily waves her hand over to the servants, and they scramble away. I sat up straighter, building invisible walls around my mind.

As the last of the guards close the door, she turned back to me, her eyes staring with power.

"You're waiting for her, aren't you?" She whispers, her voice cold on my ears. I feel her voice creeping into me, trying to dig up my thoughts, and I am forced to unknowingly hide the other ones away without her noticing. I flinch, just to let her see that she had me.

She releases me, and I breathe heavily.

"You promised not to." I say, choking.

"Oh yes I did, you seem good at protecting those other thoughts of yours. Couldn't touch them. You have mastered me so well, haven't you son?" She smiles, her smile hiding a thousand meanings.

I feel fire starting to form on my hands. "I am King, mother. Let me be King."

"So tell me, now that you are King, who do you want as Queen? Every man needs one doesn't he? Oh of course. You'd want that Red don't you? Why don't you let me take her then? I can do that. All for my son," my mother's soothing words seem to whisper to me, letting my mind see Mare's face, happy in my arms. The Kingdom at my feet.

"Yes..."

"Just tell me son, I will have it done."

"Yes.."

I hear myself, empowered by fire and my greatest desires. I feel it blinding me, but I do not care. I want her beside me, and I do not care how.

"Yes."

I fail to catch my mother's sly smile beneath her eyes.

----
AN: Sorry sorry sorry if this is so short but I'm trying you guys. Thank you so much for reading! Update update soon watch out.